Every busy mom can find 30 minutes in her day to get in a quick workout. I’m sharing six thirty minute workouts at the gym.
The great news about having a membership to a gym is that you can do a variety of workouts—virtually a different one each day of the week—in just thirty minutes! Follow these six workout options for a fitter, more energetic you in no time! For even more ideas, check out these links to gym workout options:
6 Thirty Minute Workouts for Busy Moms at the Gym
1. Basic stretching: With just a yoga mat and a little space, a stretching routine will bring life to your tired muscles and gradually help tone them up while improving flexibility to both your muscles and joints. Here are three basic moves that will warm up your muscles and joints:
- Hamstring stretch: Sitting up with legs straight in front of you, gently bend at the hips (not waist) and reach for your toes. If you can’t touch your toes, don’t worry; each day that you do this gentle stretch will get you a little closer.
- Calf stretch: From that same position, a slight adjustment will focus the stretch on your calves: Flex your feet and curl your toes back toward you, pressing your lower legs down into the mat. Hold for ten seconds and repeat 3x.
- Spine twists: Sitting up in the same position, bring your legs in and cross in front of you. With a straight spine, slowly twist your upper body to the right, placing your right hand by your right hip; put your left hand on your right knee and gently push into the stretch. Hold for ten seconds and repeat 3x. Repeat on the other side.
2. Treadmill/Elliptical/Stationary bicycle: Whichever machine best suits your body is the one you should choose. Most machines will have both manual and auto settings, allowing you to walk, run or pedal at your own pace, or in a pre-programmed route. Set the incline or resistance at a level that gently challenges you. Work up to a more strenuous program or pace as your fitness level improves. A timer will tell you how far you’ve gone and calories burned. In 30 minutes, you’ll step off feeling like you had a serious workout.
3. Circuit Training: Nearly all gyms have weight machines that are designed for ease of use and a streamlined workout. Circuits are organized to reach every area of your body: upper and lower body, including large and small muscle groups, and your core (abs and lower back). Always ask a trainer or other personnel for help when using machines for the first time, in order to prevent injury and maximize your workout. Each machine will take about three minutes. This is a great way to burn fat and build muscle at the same time.
4. Aqua Aerobics: A neighborhood gym with a pool will surely offer aqua aerobics classes at varying levels of difficulty. With some hand held weights and/or ankle weights, a water workout becomes a muscle building, calorie-and-fat burning blast that is both strenuous and refreshing.
5. Yoga/Pilates: Yoga is much more than sitting on the mat and stretching, and this ancient practice offers many varieties. Yoga is an active workout for your body that engages muscles and results in increased flexibility, more supple joints, muscle tone and decreased mental stress. Plus, it incorporates both the mind and body in the poses, along with a focus on breathwork. Speak to your instructor beforehand about adjustments you can make to poses that will either increase or decrease the difficulty.
6. TRX: This exercise routine incorporating adjustable straps anchored to the ceiling of a workout studio is growing fast in popularity for a reason: It’s a killer workout! In just thirty minutes, you can work every major and minor muscle group and activate muscles you didn’t even know you had!
Kaitlin Gardner started AnApplePerDay.com to further her passion for a family friendly, green living lifestyle. She is married to her college sweetheart and lives in Pennsylvania. She and her husband enjoy going for long hikes, to get out and enjoy nature. She is working on her first book about ways to live an eco-friendly, healthy, natural life.
More Exercise Resources
- Gifts for a Zumba Fanatic
- Easy Ways I’m Always Prepared to Exercise
- 3 Ways to Find the Right Running Shoe for Every Type