As a busy mom, I don’t always have as much time as I would like for myself. But sometimes you have to be ready to seize the moment and take advantage of any little bit of free time you get to relax, refresh, or recharge.
I am diabetic. I had a doctor’s appointment earlier this month where I learned that my A1C is not only NOT improving, but it is getting worse.
My doctor told me that if I am not able to improve it by my next three-month checkup, I will have to start on insulin. I’m not a fan of pricking my finger to check my blood sugar. So I am definitely not excited to sign up for using insulin every day by a needle!
To help, he increased the strength of one of my medicines and required that I began taking all of this much more seriously.
So, this was my wake up call to get myself in check. I’ve tried many times before to eat healthier, but the bottom line is I wasn’t willing or able to modify my habits in order to improve my diet. I don’t have a choice this time.
RELATED: The Key to Having a Long Healthy Life
So, I have begun bi-weekly meetings with a nurse in my doctor’s office to discuss counting carbs, daily exercise (or at least three times weekly), monitoring my blood sugar, and taking my medication correctly.
My schedule is crazy, but I’m trying to create new habits which in turn will make up a new lifestyle.
How I Stay Ready to Exercise
You just never know when you have a few extra minutes because traffic was light, a meeting got canceled, or Dad offers to pick up the kids. I stay ready for opportunities to exercise by keeping a packed bag in my trunk that includes the following: a t-shirt, comfy shorts, my sneakers, socks, my phone, and flushable cleansing cloths.
How I Actually Fit More Exercise into My Day
Even as a mom who commutes 45 minutes to work and works at least 40 hours each week, I have found several ways to fit more exercise into my day.
1. Before work – If I leave the house when my kids board the school bus, I can be at work at least 20 minutes before the office opens. My goal has been to turn that time into exercise time before work. My office is located downtown in a beautiful and historic area mixed with flat land and hills. It makes for a vigorous walk, even if for just 20 minutes.
2. Lunch break – Whether your lunch is 30 minutes, 45 minutes, or an hour, it can be a great time to get things done. Thirty minutes might not seem like much, but it adds up, especially with Anytime Fitness hours. Do it every workday, and that’s at least 2.5 hours per week, or 125 hours each year and–more importantly time you don’t have to stay up at night to get stuff done.
3. After work – I don’t have much time after work before I have to pick my daughter up from the after school program. But, if you do, you can use that time to get in a walk or other form of exercise before you have to turn into mom.
4. The gym (using childcare) – The YMCA and other gyms have really become more family-friendly. In my area, the staff keeps the kids busy while you’re taking a class, playing basketball or working out. You can use up to two hours each day.
5. While kids are playing at the park – There are several parks in my area that have walking trails, tracks, or even grassy areas surrounding the playground. You could take a walk while your kids are playing while being able to easily keep your eyes on them.
RELATED: 7 AMAZING WAYS YOU CAN BENEFIT FROM GARDENING
More Exercise Resources
- Gifts for a Zumba Fanatic
- 30 Minute Workouts for Busy Moms
- 3 Ways to Find the Right Running Shoe for Every Type
So whenever I’m able to seize these pockets of time, I don’t always have access to a shower to refresh. That’s where Cottonelle FreshCare Flushable Cleansing Cloths come in handy. Whether it is midday at work, after the gym or in the comfort of your home, keeping these flushable cleansing cloths on hand help to keep you fresh throughout your day-to-day activities!
It’s even a great idea to keep them on hand at home to help make your guests feel a little cleaner and comfortable in the bathroom. You can take advantage of this mega value pack at Sam’s Club, which includes 462 flushable cleansing cloths, conveniently separated into 11 packages of 42 wipes.
Don’t just wipe. Wash with Cottonelle Fresh Care Flushable Cleansing Cloths, and experience a more confident clean. The Fresh Care Flushable Cleansing Cloths feature SafeFlush Technology™, so they start to break down immediately after flushing.
More benefits of these flushable cleansing cloths:
• Easy to open and reseal
• Flip lid for easy dispensing
• Flip top lid for lasting freshness
I’ve been trying to do more online ordering these days, so I went to the Sam’s Club website to place my order. I ordered on a Sunday and they arrived a few days later.
Why I Love My Sam’s Club Membership
I love these benefits of being a Sam’s Club member:
- Free shipping on select products. No need to shop in-store. Have your order shipped right to your front door.
- Club Pickup. If you’d rather pick up your order, instead of waiting for delivery, order online and pick up in-store. No waiting!
- Save time with subscriptions. Subscribe today and get your must-haves shipped on a regular schedule of your choice.
- Easy reorder. Choose frequently ordered items, create a list online, or upload a spreadsheet.When I logged in to place my order, these items popped up in the frequently ordered section. This makes it really quick and easy to generate a new order of the items we need the most.
Thank you to Cottonelle for sponsoring today’s post and inspiring me to try their flushable cleansing cloths.
I’m so sorry to hear that Raki, but glad to hear you’re taking positive steps to correct it! I’m a chicken when it comes to shots so I definitely would do everything it takes to avoid that. Love that you’re able to exercise even with a busy schedule. There really is no excuse!
Thanks Nina. I’ve been meeting with a nurse in my doctor’s office bi-weekly to make, track, and adjust goals. I’m excited to see how much progress I can make in the coming months.
Great information … Thanks for sharing…. When you have a chance check out Mymebox. Cratejoy.com curated for the busy working mom….
Thanks Nora! I sent you an email.
Mother of 3 says
Great ideas! I love the idea of having a bag always packed and ready to go. As a homeschooling mom I have my kids with me ALL the time but I’m starting to incorporate them into the exercising; we go biking, kayaking, hiking, and walking together. It doesn’t always work but I’m getting better at adding exercising to our days.
Jean | DelightfulRepast.com says
Raki, great tips! I’m trying to fit more exercise into my day, so when I saw your link on the link party, I had to check this out. It’s wonderful that you are working on your health this way first rather than going the medicine route straight away.
Lexi @That Fit Fam says
I love how you just make time to exercise and fit it in wherever you can! there will always be excuses, we just need to make exercise a priority or we’ll never have time for it! thank you for sharing! also love the packed gym bag idea!