If you’re renovating your home or simply looking to give your rooms a makeover, window treatment is something that you’ll have to decide on. In any space in your home, the colour, type and style of window cover can have a major impact on your overall mood and aesthetic in the room. One of the most common questions people have is whether they should invest in blinds or curtains. In today’s article, we have a look at both options in a bid to help you decide on which is best for your home. Read on to find out more.
Consider Your Needs
When it comes to the best window treatment for your home, one size does not fit all.
Some of the main requirements people have included additional privacy, aesthetic appeal and framing a view. Privacy is the main driver for NYC blinds where quick use and quality are paramount.
One of the main things you will have to take into consideration is the type of light control you are looking for. Are you looking to completely block light out of your room? If so, made to measure curtains that extend from wall to wall are a fantastic option. Curtains hung up on pelmet or recess will also prevent light from escaping from the top.
Interior designers often suggest that curtains should be avoided in smaller rooms as they are more intrusive in a space as opposed to custom made blinds. Blinds, on the other hand, have the ability to make a smaller room look larger.
To fully assess which option is best for your individual needs, let’s have a look at the pros and cons of choosing both options.
- Because curtains don’t require a pull rod, they are often the safer option if you have children or pets.
- Curtains are excellent at keeping cool air out and warm air in during the colder months.
- Curtains can offer a grand aesthetic to your room with their flexibility and flow.
- Curtains are incredibly easy to clean and can be easily thrown into the washing machine and dried in a few hours.
- Curtains offer better soundproofing.
- Curtains offer you a myriad of design possibilities and can be chosen to fully compliment your overall home aesthetic.
- If you have pets, it is not uncommon for fur and fluff to accumulate on curtains, making upkeep a constant and regular task.
- Curtains can, in some situations, make a room look smaller.
- In rooms such as the bathroom and kitchen, curtains may collect stains and mould over time.
- Curtains are susceptible to wear and tear including tearing, staining and moulding, requiring them to be replaced once every decade or so.
- Blinds are incredibly in their ability to filter light. Venetian style blinds let a considerable amount of light into your home if that is what you are looking for, whilst block out blinds can ensure that sunlight doesn’t penetrate your room in the early mornings.
- Blinds are a fantastic option for small spaces as they won’t make your room look smaller.
- Blinds are very easy to clean with a duster or a wet cloth in case your children end up getting fingerprints on them.
- Blinds will not accumulate pet dander.
- Blinds are very long-lasting, with a lifespan of at least 15 years.
- Blinds can be a more costly option than curtains.
- Slats in plastic or aluminium blinds can break and cause your entire blind set up to look bad.
- If you are looking for a more traditional and classic styled home design, blinds may make your home look more like an office than a home.
At the end of the day, blinds and curtains both offer pros and cons. Which one you choose will be highly dependant on your individual needs which differ from person to person. There is no one size fits all solution when it comes to window treatment, and we often recommend that people embrace both in order to maximize potential.
We hope that this article has given you some insight into which option will suit your home the best.
I need things for my rooms!!!! I think curtains is more useful for super cute room. Choosing color collection is important.