Are you looking for gifts for gamers? I’ve created a list of more than 10 items at every price point. Hand-curated by my husband and son who are both avid gamers.
My husband and son both love to play video games on XBOX AND Playstation. My 15-year-old loves to play games such as Minecraft and uses the XBOX to watch Netflix movies. My husband is a huge fan of XBOX because he likes to play shooter games online with other guys. We also use the XBOX for Netflix, to watch movies as a family.
Here’s a list (and maybe new-to-you) that your gamers will love.
Here are 10 must-have accessory gifts for gamers:
1. Game controller chargers – We started out buying traditional AA batteries for the XBOX controllers, then I got rechargeable batteries. My son uses an Energizer set I purchased. Even with daily use, the batteries last several months. Prices start at about $10. Now my husband uses a Play & Charge Kit that plugs into any USB port (on the computer, XBOX, etc.). Prices start at about $10. Either type of charger will allow you to save resources, avoid buying disposable batteries and save money.
2. Kinect – Kinect is a voice-detecting and motion sensing add-on that allows you to play interactive games, sports, dance, and exercise. Requires an XBOX Live Gold Membership. Retail prices start at about $110. You can probably find these for sale on eBay for a lower price. (Prices start at $75.)
3. PlayStation Plus Membership – Enables online multiplayer on PS4 (so you can play games online with friends), FREE PlayStation 4 games every month, and access to exclusive PlayStation Store sales and discounts. (Prices start at $10 for PlayStation)
4. XBOX gift card – With a gift card, boys can buy games, downloadable content (DLC’s), map packs, movies, TV shows, music, apps and more. (Prices start at $10)
5. Cooling fan – These add-ons attach to the XBOX to increase airflow and reduce heat throughout the unit. This time of year, I wish my son had one. Even with a headset for the sound effects and other players’ voices, he is very loud, so we require him to keep the door shut. Our air conditioning is running and the ceiling fan is on, but his room can get hot if he is online for his allotted game time and then he watches movies. Prices start at around $10, depending on quality. (Prices start at $13.)
6. Game capture – Record your Xbox, PlayStation, or Nintendo gameplay. One-click sharing to YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. Built-in live commentary feature.
7. PlayStation gift card – With a gift card, boys can buy games, downloadable content (DLC’s), map packs, movies, TV shows, music, apps and more. (Prices start at $10)
9. Gaming headsets – Most users look for a lightweight, comfortable gaming headset to hear minute sounds such as bullets, breathing, footsteps, and other noises to enhance their gaming experience. Other desired features include a built-in microphone for clear communication with other teammates and players. My husband loves these. Basic headsets start around $10 and higher-end sets are around $60 (and can be as expensive as $275!).
10. XBOX Live Gold Membership – This allows you to connect to the XBOX network to play online with others; access apps like Netflix; watch HD movies, TV shows, live events, music and sports; use entertainment apps; surf the web using Internet Explorer; and communicate via Skype. Gold subscriptions are as low as $5 per month with a 12-month subscription. You can often find subscription cards for sale on eBay for a slight discount. (Prices start at $25.)
11. Portable storage – If your gaming system didn’t come with enough storage or you want to buy more games than your unit can handle, this portable hard drive will save the day.
12. Wireless controller – Players are no longer confined to the space their wires can accommodate. Wireless controllers offer vibration feedback gives you a riveting gaming experience, precise thumbsticks, two pressure-point triggers and an 8-way directional pad help you stay in control.
BONUS – 13. Gaming chair – I got my son one of these last year for Christmas (after having to fib that it was for his dad when he saw it in my trunk). He can sit on the chair on his floor or use it as extra seating in his room. It has two wired receiver audio speakers built into the chair with volume control and in/out headphone jacks. He loves being able to listen to music when he plays his favorite games.
Find more Gift Guides here.