Movies are fun things for summer. I share five ways your kids can enjoy movies this summer on the cheap…plus some free ones.
Movies can be another way to experience culture, adventure, and excitement.
Reasons I Love Taking My Kids to the Movie Theater
- Opportunity to practice appropriate theater behavior
- Socializing with other kids their age
- Makes it more fun because it’s in a different setting
- Big, comfy reclining chairs
- Big screen with surround sound experience
- Books we’ve read come to life
- Create understanding or humor in serious or difficult conversations
- Get out of the house
Five Free Ways to See Movies
1. Library – checkout new releases or old classic movies for a few days or a week. You may also be able to take advantage of a Family Movie Night, hosted at the library featuring free refreshments.
(Affiliate link below)
2. Amazon Prime – a program that offers free two-day shipping on certain Amazon.com purchases, access to Amazon Instant Video, and the ability to borrow books from the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library.
3. Contests & Giveaways like the ones on this site.
4. Parks & Recreation – take advantage of programs your city, town, or county sponsor like movies on the lawn or movies at the pool.
Five Cheap Ways to See Movies
1. Summer Movies at Local Movie Theaters (& Chains) – Check for $1-$2 summer movies for kids to enjoy this summer. Tickets and treats are often available at a lower price. Some theaters, will offer a $4 package including admission and a kid’s tray with popcorn, drink, and a snack.
2. Social offers – Sites like Living Social & Groupon. Recently, there was a Groupon deal in our area for 1/2 off Fandango movie tickets. Then, you can redeem the Fandango tickets at your local theater.
4. Child Swap – Alternate with other parents to take a group, that way you don’t have to attend (and pay your way into) each movie. Pool with other parents / rotate taking the kids. Recently, the children’s ministry at our church took the elementary aged kids to see Monsters University.
5. Streaming Services – Redbox, Netflix, Hulu & (affiliate link) Amazon Prime offer TV shows, movies, and original series. Depending on the service you choose, content can be watched on your TV, computer, tablet, phone, or gaming device.
Photo Credit: D. Sharon Pruitt