They say when you begin a family, that life will cage forever. Most of us think of 2 A.M. feedings, daycare expenses and never again being able to take off on a last minute weekend at an hours notice. While all of this is true, that is not what the saying is based upon.
Your core values
When they place this beautiful baby in your arms for the first time, you change. At that very moment, your priorities change. You are a parent. This lovely little person gently slips into the position of the center of your universe.
You look at everything you do as an opportunity to allow your family to experience this big, beautiful world we live in. When you are a parent, your world changes because you view it through different eyes.
What Does This Have To Do With Traveling With Children?
Let’s say, you have done your homework and you have selected your destination. Whether you are going to a resort in Greece or renting a premium accommodation in Thredbo – there will still be things that you need for your family that even the biggest resorts won’t be able to supply. And if you do plan a trip to Greece, make sure you visit Crete. It has amazing sights which you can see by renting a car and driving around.
Make sure to pack properly. Try to segregate your bags as per your immediate needs. Who knows you may immediately plan to visit Miami, and carrying all your stuff to all the places you move to makes a little sense. Thereby, to reap the benefits of a luggage storage miami, you’ll have to segregate your urgent belongings, well-in-advance.
So, we have put this basic checklist of items you need for a day away with your child.
Checklist for Traveling with Kids
- Food & drink
- You know your child. He may be in a phase that all he wants to eat is Macaroni and Cheese in the individual serving cup that is shaped like Spiderman. You may want to fight this battle at home, or not. But for a day out, try making up a couple tubs before you go and pouring it in a thermos to keep warm. Wash the container it came in and pop it and a spoon in a ziplock bag. When he is hungry, his favorite meal is ready and there is no Spiderman withdrawal.
- If you child drinks formula, water, or juice, grab another gallon size ziplock bag. Freeze a couple of bottles of water and drop them in the bag. Now put your child’s drink of choice in the bag. The ice will keep their drinks cold, and as the ice melts you have an icy cold bottle of water to sip from.
- Download your kids favorite show or game on your phone. Be sure you take a fully charged extra travel battery pack.
- Take a favorite toy or blanket if you can make it fit in the backpack. These are some of the best airplane toys for toddlers. While you are at it, you can also check some great edc backpacks.
- Stickers and small pads are good to use at rest time.
- A portable first-aid kit or at least some bandaid and antibacterial wipes.
- Baby wipes work well for dozens of things,
- Plenty of diapers, pull-ups, or a few pair of underwear if they newly trained or overwhelmed by going in a strange place.
- Two changes of clothes, including shoes
- A sweater, jacket or hoodie in cae the weather turns cool.
- If you child takes prescription medications, take enough for two extra days. This is just a safety precaution. You never know when you are going to be stranded.
Don´t stress about money. A lot of the items on the list you can probably buy second hand and save some money along the way. Arrange your appointment around your child’s nap time. If it will take some time, let them nap in the car.
Be watchful for any food or drink that has excess sugar. A hyped up kid is no fun for anyone.
Tell the child exactly when you are going to do things. If they are too young, use a sheet of paper and some stickers.
- Doctor sticker
- Lunch ticker
- Museum sticker
- Zoo sticker
You get the idea. When they ask you where you are going next, tell them to check their list.
Finally, do not be discouraged if your child didn’t enjoy the trip a much as you expected. Children sometimes are overwhelmed, They may not show that they are loving it, but they will never forget the trip.
If you’re looking for a family adventure with older kids, check out these best all inclusive resorts for families with teenagers.
More Tips Traveling with Kids
- 7 Essentials for Your Family Road Trip
- 6 Tips for a Great Weekend Getaway With Kids
- How to Survive A Vacation With Your Family
- 4 Must-Have Travel Safety Tips for Busy Families