Ever since drummers began working with electronics to supplement their sound, musicians have debated what is the best type of drum set. Electronic and acoustic drum sets each have their own unique advantages and disadvantages.
Have a kid at home that’s craving drum lessons? Knowing these differences between acoustic and electric drums will really help you decide which type of kit you should get for their child.
Let’s take a look at what makes acoustic drums different than electric, and which is the best choice for your child’s first drum set.
Before making a decision on the right set to purchase visit the website of your local drum store like drumcenternh.com to get a better idea about the different types of drum sets. Then you can speak with a salesman if you still aren’t sure about the differences between electronic and acoustic drum sets. Ultimately the decision boils down to personal preference. The following are some of the basic differences between electronic and acoustic drum sets.
Advantages Of Acoustic Drums
There are numerous advantages to playing an acoustic kit.
- The and touch just can’t be replicated. From the metallic sounds of a cymbal wash to the buzz of a drum roll and the subtle intricacies of complex hi-hat rhythms, the sounds that acoustic kits can produce are endless. These sounds can be reproduced and expanded on across all dynamics.
- Another advantage is the cost. Bottom end sets can be found for under a couple of hundred dollars, and used equipment can be bought for even less.
It’s really easy to get ahold of inexpensive used equipment and piece an acoustic drum kit together. Try online resources like www.drumcenternh.com for pieces ranging from cymbals to sticks.
Disadvantages of Acoustic Drums
- The biggest disadvantage of playing an acoustic set is the noise it generates. They are not ideal for people who live in close proximity to others, like residents of apartments. While it is possible to use pads to muffle the noise, the feel and sound will be greatly impacted. The noise might get to you after a while.
- Acoustic sets can be costly if you have to replace drum heads regularly. Acoustic drums also take up lots of space so you need room to set them up to practice.
- Lastly, there is the issue of storage. Drums can warp if they aren’t stored properly, which can ruin an acoustic set.
Advantages of Electronic Drum Sets
- The biggest advantage of electronic drums is you can play them almost anywhere. You can simply turn them on, plug in your headphones and play as loud as you want. This is great if your child has younger siblings who might not react well to loud noises. Typically pads respond to how hard you hit them, so the sound produced will reflect this.
- There is also the benefit of being able to program unlimited sounds into the brain of an electronic set. This creates endless possibilities for what your child can play.
- Electronic sets can be broken down so they will fit into a much smaller case, unlike acoustic drums.
Disadvantages of Electronic Drums
- The biggest problem with electronic drums is they won’t have the same feel of acoustic drums.
- Due to the sensitivity of drum pads, sometimes if your child hits a pad too hard they can trigger another pad’s sound. This may not sound like a big deal, but it can really throw off groove.
- The other major issue with electronic drums is their cost. You can expect to spend well over $1000 for a set the feels and sounds realistic. Unlike acoustic kits, you can’t really buy spare parts and build a less expensive kit. Unfortunately, inexpensive electronic drums sound cheap and very fake.
Which to Choose?
While both acoustic and electric drums are immensely fun to play, the choice of which is preferred can only be decided by the drummer.
However, a good rule of thumb to follow is:
Acoustic is ideal for beginners and live play
Electric is ideal for studio recording and practicing in close quarters to other people. If you’re unsure which electronic drum kit you should choose, please visit Best E- Drums.
More Musical Posts:
- GIFT IDEAS FOR MUSIC LOVERS
- EASY WAY TO TEACH PRESCHOOLERS WITH MUSIC
- 5 EASY WAYS TO ENCOURAGE KIDS TO LOVE ALL KINDS OF MUSIC
- AFRICAN-AMERICAN MUSIC APPRECIATION MONTH MOVIES ON NETFLIX