If you’re looking for some fun, end-of-summer activities to keep your kids busy and happy during quarantine, this post should tell you everything. With COVID-19, the world has essentially been on lock-down. However, there are ways you can make the most of this time and have fun with family in a safe way too.
In this post we will give you some interesting end-of-summer activities to do that are sure to keep kids entertained and make your life happier!
5 Fun Things For Kids To Enjoy Right Now
Family Cooking Activities
What better time than now to get out the cookie sheet and have a bikeathon. You can even take your family cooking fun to a new level by incorporating a spirit of giving into the whole mix.
With nurses and doctors on the front lines, why not make cookies or prepared lunch treats and bring them to the local hospital? Just be ready and extra vigilant to prepare food carefully wearing gloves, masks and a hair net.
In addition you will want to call in advance to ask what precautions they are taking with brining food from the outside in. Doing so will make it easier to have your gifts gratefully accepted.
Doing this with your family is a fun experience that will instill important values and bring everyone closer together. And that would be the best result of quarantine, wouldn’t it?
Long Hikes And Outdoor Activities
Another great thing to do during this time is go for long hikes with the family. Want some extra added fun for your hike? Try bringing some books and identify plants and insects.
Here are some tips for hiking:
- Never go alone and make sure you are not secluded in any way
- Bring books on plants, insects and birds to enjoy local nature
- Pack a picnic lunch and stop midway through your hike to eat
- Bring binoculars for bird watching
- Wear lots of sunscreen
- Find a challenging fun hike that is popular and go as a group
This is a great time to get outdoors and enjoy nature. However, there will be rainy days too and that’s why we’ve added the next activity for you and your family’s enjoyment.
Family Movie Nights
What’s quarantine without family movie nights? Making television time a fun time to bond is extra important during quarantine. Here are some tips for your tv time with the fam.
- Have designated times you can watch television so you don’t find yourself watching it too much
- Pick movies everyone likes and make popcorn and watch together
- Start a fun Netflix series together that way everyone has something to look forward to
- Bake goodies for your special tv time
- Decorate the tv room with throw blankets and pillows so everyone is comfy
Now, I know this sounds really lame. But it’s not! Why not encourage some fun educational games to stimulate your kids intellectually while having fun? Brooklyn Montessori Seneca Village Montessori School suggests that you read with your kids and have fun trivia games. You can offer prizes and rewards for getting a good score.
Setting aside time for learning activities will actually provide another level of happiness for your children. There’s only so much video games your kids can play, so why not focus on learning while in quarantine?
Arts And Crafts
Now is a great time to enjoy some arts and crafts. If you are stuck at home with not much to do, you can finger paint with your little ones of find creative ways to enjoy doing artistic activities.
Here are some ideas:
- paint rocks and make a pretty rock garden
- do family portraits of each other
- make beautiful cards to send to other family you can’t see
- learn something you don’t know how to do (such as paint, crocheting, etc)
It isn’t always easy to stay entertained when the world in on lockdown. However, with these activities you should have a lot to do.
We hope this post has given you some great ideas for things to do with your kids during quarantine. Good luck and have fun!