Divorce proceedings can be emotionally and physically draining. Having a divorce lawyer to represent you during these rough patches in your life is not just a legal matter but crucial for your mental and emotional well-being.
Divorce laws vary in each state. That’s why you need to find a lawyer familiar with the process and requirements in your state. For instance, Oklahoma divorce lawyers will follow Oklahoma’s 50/50 property split as long as it is fair and equitable. In California, they divide assets by assigning specific properties to each spouse.
Divorce lawyers can be very helpful in taking care of all aspects of divorce proceedings, but there are also things that you can’t expect them to do and are already beyond their legal capacity. Below is a list of what divorce lawyers can and can’t do.
What divorce lawyers can do
- Explain your rights, responsibilities, and privileges – A divorce lawyer can explain your legal duties after a split, including paying child support, alimony, child visitation rights, and everything else related to family law.
- Guide you through legal procedures – Having a divorce lawyer means there’s someone who can tell you what will happen next and what your expectations should be. They can tell you what questions the judge will ask, how long the proceedings will take, and what are your legal options.
- Represent you in court – You will have someone stand up for you in court proceedings, explain your story, and tell it in a way that will put things in your favor. Divorce proceedings can be complicated and time-consuming. Having someone do the talking for you will be a load off your back.
- Take care of the paperwork – You will be overwhelmed with how much paperwork is involved in divorce legal proceedings, and if you have to do it alone, you’ll be spending all your time taking care of it. Divorce lawyers are already very familiar with the divorce paperwork, and all you need to do is supply the information, read the contents, and sign the papers.
- Protect your reputation – Divorce can have a negative impact not just on your family but also on your reputation. Destroying reputation is typical in high-conflict cases wherein the spouse can launch an attack in various forms. A divorce lawyer can help you manage such an incident.
- Can help you see a new future – Divorce lawyers understand the emotional debilitation divorce can bring to your family. However, they can also help you see the light of a new life and a new beginning. They can guide you beyond the courtroom to your new life, just like they did with their previous clients.
What divorce lawyers can’t do
- Give you an exact costing of fees associated with divorce – It often happens that the actual cost of divorce proceedings exceeds the estimate that your divorce lawyers have given you. Many things can happen during court proceedings, and there are things your lawyer can’t predict. Divorce proceedings are very costly. A contested divorce, for instance, can cost as much as $30,000. Be prepared to dig deeper into your pockets.
- Speed up the divorce process – Your lawyer has no control over the court and other parties, so they cannot simply speed up the divorce process. Trial dates will depend on the court calendar, and meetings with the other parties will rely on everyone’s availability.
- Use divorce for vengeance – Your divorce lawyers understand that anger and revenge might be a significant driving factor for getting the most from the divorce. However, your lawyer will always remain objective and act within the boundaries of the law. Your lawyer will not try to get you more alimony unfairly just because you want to get back at your spouse.
Your divorce lawyer’s negotiation skills and experience with litigation can make your divorce undertakings less stressful. Choose a lawyer that specializes in family law, particularly in divorce and other related cases like family law attorney Matthew DeArmey. This way, you are sure that they can cover all bases and give you all possible options that would benefit your case.
In complex divorce cases, it might be best to consult with several other divorce lawyers for consultations. Keep in mind that your spouse might also be hunting down the best lawyer in town, so be sure to get to them first.