As seasons change and the weather warms up, your kids are probably itching to finally get the chance to run around outside without worrying about the cold. Keep these safety tips in mind for when your kids play outside to ensure your family has fun and stays safe enjoying the nice weather!
Establish Safe Play Areas
If your kids are going to be spending a lot of time playing outside, you’re not going to be able to keep a direct eye on them all the time. That’s going to require some trust. You and your kids can develop trust by establishing safe play areas.
Play areas can be limited to the backyard, the front yard, or more if it feels safe to you. It is important to establish where not to play, such as on the street or out of sight. Consider setting up markers like traffic cones to remind them where it’s okay for them to play.
If your kids love to bike, give them parameters on where they can bike and how far they can go—the sidewalk, down the street, etc.
Remove Any Hazards From Play Areas
Now that you’ve established the areas where your kids are free to roam and play, make sure that there’s nothing potentially dangerous in those areas they can encounter. If you’ve got a backyard grill, it’s probably a good idea to put it away in the garage while the kids are outside.
If you’ve got air conditioners or other appliances in your backyard, consider a small fence or barrier. Lock up any tools in the garage and ensure the shed is secured so the kids don’t stumble upon any potentially hazardous items.
Make Sure They Have Protective Gear
As your kids set out to play outside, make sure they wear proper protective gear and clothing. A helmet and padding are a must for riding bikes. Or, if they’re going to play a sport like baseball or hockey, make sure they wear batting helmets or facemasks to protect themselves.
Even if they’re just outside to play some games, durable long-sleeve shirts and pants can protect kids from scrapes and scuffs and make playing more fun!
We hope our safety tips for when your kids play outside help! Keep reading Outside the Box Mom for more parenting tips and guides!
- 8 Safety Hazards at Home You Might Not Be Aware Of
- How To Make Sure Your Backyard Is Comfortable For Your Kids To Play In
- How to have a great backyard space
- Easy backyard game for your kids
- The Safety Risks in Your Backyard
- Organizing Your Backyard
- 5 Unique And Important Uses For Carports & Patios
- 3 Things to Consider Before Purchasing a Trampoline
- Reasons To Allow Your Child More Playtime
- 10 Insanely Fun Night Games You’ll Want To Play All Summer Long
- How to Repair or Replace A Sidewalk: A Complete Guide
- Things You Can Use To Create a DIY Obstacle Course
- How to Host a Wonderful Party for Your Kids at Home