Looking for Gymnastics Movies? There are some great titles available. These gymnastic movie, films, and TV documentaries are a great resource any time of year.
Gymnastics is a sport involving the performance of exercises requiring balance strength, flexibility, agility, endurance and control. The movements involved in gymnastics contribute to the development of the arms, legs, shoulders, chest and abdominal muscle groups. Alertness, precision, daring, self-confidence and self-discipline are mental traits that can also be developed through gymnastics. (Source)
20+ Gymnastics Movies to Watch With Your Daughter
When you think about a gymnastic movie, some of these stars come to mind: the “Queen of Gymnastics” Nadia Comaneci, the first US Olympic All-Around Gold Medalist Mary Lou Retton and more recent stars such as Shawn Johnson, Nastia Liukin, and Gabby Douglas.
These women are important because they made history and broke records. They are role models to young girls because of their hard work, dedication, and victories.
Whether you’re looking for a gymnastic movie, TV show, or documentary, you will likely find it. Every genre is covered from Kids to Romantic Comedies to Action & Adventure.
In today’s economic times, consumers might want to cancel their cable service and buy a good television antenna.
TV Antennas provide access to all the networks and local channels on the air for no additional cost. Outdoor (when allowed by individual communities) or indoor antenna should both work for this purpose.
Which gymnastics movie is your favorite?
- Stick It (PG-13) – A girl is court-ordered to enroll in an elite gymnastics program
- A 2nd Chance (PG) – A young girl and her coach overcome adversity to make their way into the National Gymnastics Competition. This gymnast lacks the confidence she needs to reach the top. But with the help of her new coach, she has the chance to win a spot on the national team.
- Full Out (PG) – The inspiring true story of San Diego, California gymnast Ariana Berlin who missed her chance at the 2008 Olympics because of a bad car accident. Determined to defy all odds, Ariana makes a miraculous comeback and will stop at nothing until she is back in the world of gymnastics.
- An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars – American Girl McKenna comes to life in this modern-day adventure about a determined gymnast who must focus on her strengths to overcome challenges and find a way to believe in herself again.
- The Gymnast (Unrated) – After a devastating injury sidelines her gymnastics career, she settles for a career as a massage therapist. She gets a second chance at her dream, however, when an opportunity arises for her to perform with an acrobatic aerial performance troupe.
- American Anthem (PG-13) – Olympic Gold medalist Mitch Gaylord makes his acting debut in this tylish romantic drama about a gymnast who overcomes family difficulties to pursue his Olympic dreams.
- The Bronze (R) – A foul-mouthed former gymnastics bronze medalist must fight for her local celebrity status when a new young athlete’s star rises in town.
- Gabby Douglas Story (Not Rated) – Moving away from her hometown and family in 2010 to pursue training with a world-renowned Olympic trainer, Gabby Douglas was selected to compete with the U.S. Olympic women’s gymnastics team at the 2012 Summer Olympics. There, Douglas became the first African-American to win gold in the individual all-around event.
- Chalk It Up (PG) – When a super girly-girl is dumped by her boyfriend; she decides to do everything she can to get him back by building a college gymnastics team, quickly learning that she is capable of a lot more than just getting an MRS degree.
- Perfect Body (Unrated) – Obsessed with perfection, young gymnast Andie nearly starves herself to realize her dream of making the Olympic gymnastics team.
- Peaceful Warrior (PG-13) – Nick Nolte, Scott Mechlowicz and Amy Smart star in this inspirational film about the power of the human spirit. Inspired by true events and based on the best-selling novel by Dan Millman.
- Raising the Bar (G) – Kelly swears off gymnastics after moving to Australia, but is drawn back in to help a new friend compete. The experience helps her regain confidence and renew her love of the sport.
- Gymkata (R) – An American travels to a remote land to enter a lethal competition that no outsider has won in more than 900 years.
- White Palms (NR) – Having suffered as a boy under a brutal Communist-era coach, champion Hungarian gymnast Miklos moves to Canada years later in search of a new start – only to find himself unwittingly perpetuating the very same cycle of abuse among his own pupils.
- Nadia (NR) – The first gymnast to ever score a perfect 10 at the Olympics was Nadia Comaneci. A tale of how hard gymnasts must work as well as showing how much they must give up in their personal lives in order to achieve success. Nadia shows in a credible way the highs and lows of celebrity.
- Little Girls in Pretty Boxes (TV movie – no rating) – A gymnast moves to a gym where the top coach in the US is and has difficulties adjusting.
- Flying – After a car accident gives Robin a knee injury that threatens to permanently derail her gymnastics career, she moves to a new city with the modest hope of making her new high school’s gymnastics team, the Flyers.
- Kukolka (No rating) – After receiving a serious injury, a young gymnast is forced to stop performing. This serious sport traumatizes her not only physically but also morally.
- Jump Ashin! (Unrated) – Gymnastics has been Ashin’s (Eddie Peng) greatest love since childhood, but his mother sees no future in it and forces him to quit. After giving up gymnastics, Ashin spends his days lazing around. Ashin strays farther and farther from himself in the big city, but his heart will eventually bring him back to the sport he loves.
- A State of Mind (NR) – The Mass Games, a two-month-long gymnastics festival stressing group dynamics as much as individual skill, holds a vital place in the hearts of North Koreans and is an annual tradition. This film focuses on young performers, typically chosen at an early age for a lifetime career as gymnasts.
- Cold Warrior (Unrated) – A young gymnast questions her dreams of championship glory when she discovers she’s part of a shady government plot to win at any cost.
More Gymnastics Movies & More:
- 20 GYMNASTICS MOVIES FOR KIDS ON NETFLIX
- 25 GYMNASTICS GIFTS FOR THE GYMNAST IN YOUR LIFE
- Gymnastics Movies and TV Shows On Hulu
Click the button below to see more gymnastics movies: