Bulk cooking, also known as batch cooking, multiplies your efforts in the kitchen and leaves you prepared for many meals. Knowing how to cook ground beef is easy and inexpensive.
Why Bulk Cooking for Busy Moms Is a Good Thing
Bulk cooking is preparing many meals at once or making large batches of several recipes to be eaten at different meals. Often, when you hear either term, you think freezer cooking or once-a-month-cooking (OAMC). But, it does not have to be an all day effort. If you have 30 minutes, you can be well on your way to building the base for many meals.
How to Cook Ground Beef
When I bring my groceries home, I usually have a 3 lb or 5 lb package (or larger) of ground beef. This is how I prepare it.
- Brown it.
- Season with fresh, chopped onion (or dehydrated chopped onion) and onion powder. (This is my basic seasoning.)
- Drain the excess liquid and fat from the meat.
- Separate into 1 lb or 2 lb portions, depending on intended use.
- Add additional seasoning (i.e. taco, Italian, etc.).
- Label zipper freezer bags (or plastic containers) and package for refrigerator or freezer. Include the seasoning used, quantity, and date. If freezing, store flat until frozen, than reposition to maximize freezer space.
What to Make With Ground Beef
I usually divide the cooked ground beef into 1 lb portions for any of the following uses:
- Taco Meat
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Sloppy Joes
- Hot Dog Chili
- Hamburger Helper
In less than 1 hour, I can have 3-5 meals prepped. This is the same amount of time I would have normally been in the kitchen preparing one dinner.
Nance in Reno says
I put the entire 5# of ground beef in my small crockpot and cook it (I start on high and about an hour or so later — once it is good and hot — turn it down to low). After a couple of hours, I’ll break up the beef a bit otherwise it maintains its shape.
I drain the fat and then put in 1 or 2# portions and freeze.
I love cooking ground beef in bulk and then freezing them for different uses. So time saving! Thanks for sharing with us at the Home Matters #homematters linky party. We love having you and hope you join us again.