It is the dream of many parents to have their children learn a musical instrument.
But, when you walk into a musical instrument store in Dubai, you are overwhelmed with choices. How do you know which instrument is the most beneficial for your child?
To help you make the right decision, read on for five musical instruments that your child should learn.
The piano is one of the most popular instruments for children to learn because it enables complex musical expression at all skill levels, unlike most other instruments.
Even for beginners, the piano is a fun instrument to play as each key produces a different note. Plus, you don’t have to tune the instrument continually!
Additionally, learning to play the piano teaches your child how to multitask, which is an essential skill that can be utilized in many other aspects of their life.
That being said, many parents prefer to start their children’s musical journey with the keyboard. This electronic instrument is designed to be played at home but can be easily transported when necessary. Plus, it can be played in an array of situations and offer more flexibility for beginners.
What’s more, as keyboards are programmed with pre-recorded sounds, your child will be able to improve their skills through listening to pre-loaded music instructions and playing along with pre-loaded tunes.
Whether your child starts with the piano or keyboard, the benefits of learning this style of instrument include improved concentration, memory and focus skills, and motor skills.
Like adults, children love to play the drums as they are fantastic stress relievers and very enjoyable to play.
Not just that, but drums are complex instruments that teach young people how to do project management and break down large tasks into more manageable smaller ones. And, you can expect your child to improve their focus and concentration skills once they start playing this instrument.
Generally, drums are best suited for children who are over ten years old as they will then be developed enough to reach all parts of the drum set.
Everyone loves someone who can play the guitar, and your child is likely also to enjoy the process of learning this instrument. In fact, the guitar is one of the best instruments for children to learn because it is relatively easy to get started with, and they will quickly be able to perform songs they know.
When children study the guitar, they are not only learning how to play the instrument and read music, but they are also practicing manual dexterity that can then be used to learn other instruments. Like the drums, the ideal age to start children learning the guitar is ten years or older.
Many parents are slightly afraid of encouraging their child to learn the violin as it isn’t the most pleasant instrument to listen to while someone is still learning the basics. That being said, the violin can be a fantastic instrument for children to learn, particularly if they already possess musical talent.
Learning the violin will teach your child to cultivate an understanding of musical tones and develop their manual dexterity. There is no denying that the violin is a complex musical instrument, which means that once your child has learned the basics, they can continue playing for years to come. And, unlike other string instruments, the violin is small enough to be played by little children.
Benefits of Early Music Education
No matter which instrument your child decides to learn, there are plenty of benefits that come from having a musical education early in their development.
- Develops Memory Skills: One of the most significant benefits of learning a musical instrument is that it helps your child learn how to generate, hold, and access memories more efficiently. In many ways, learning a musical instrument is akin to a workout for the brain as it stimulates diverse patterns of brain development.
- Improves Coordination: Every musical instrument requires some level of coordination, which requires both dexterity and efficient brain functioning. When your child learns to read music, their brain is converting the notes into the physical motions needed to play the instrument. This is a fantastic way for them to develop their hand-eye coordination.
- Encourages Creativity: Music is an art, and the pursuit of learning an instrument is a creative one. As they learn more about their instrument and are introduced to new pieces of music, the creative side of your child’s brain gets cultivated. Each time they play a tune, their ability to express themselves through music increases. Your child will quickly learn that to play music well, you have to include parts of your personality, a realization that provides them with a healthy and fulfilling way to tap into their inherent creativity.
- Teaches Patience: No one can learn an instrument without investing significant time and effort into practicing. This alone is beneficial for your child as it teaches them patience through the process and demonstrates how you can achieve anything you set your mind to with hard work. The discipline required to learn a musical instrument is immense, and the earlier your child can learn the power of discipline, the more successful they will be throughout their lives.
- Promotes Goal-Setting: In their music lessons, your child will learn how to set short- and long-term goals that break down the more significant concepts and pieces into manageable action steps. Once they reach a goal, your child will feel an immense amount of pride in their accomplishment, which will boost their confidence in their abilities. And, as their skills increase and they play in public, this confidence in their abilities and goal-setting strategies will only continue to grow.
- Exposes Them to Culture: Throughout history, music has been an integral part of culture, making it an exciting way to learn about other eras and countries. Exposing your child to diverse musical genres provides them with insights into the past and may result in an increased interest in other people’s and ways of doing things.
To ensure you are purchasing the best musical instrument for your child, make sure you choose a model made by one of Music Majlis equipment brands. These instruments are high-quality, durable, and guaranteed to help your child cultivate a lasting love for music.
Do you want your child to learn a musical instrument? Why or why not? If so, which instrument are you considering?
Let us know your thoughts and any additional insights in the comments below!
Amrit Shivlani is the Founder and CEO at Music Majlis, a community-driven e-commerce platform that offers a wide variety of musical instruments and equipment for every musician and sound professional. The company’s goal is to make music-making, recording, producing and mixing accessible and available to everyone.