Are you wondering what to do when the kids say, “I’m Bored?” I have a list of over 100 ideas to keep them occupied.
What is that?
I simply collected a list of ideas to give my kids when they come to me and say “I’m bored.” These activities are an easy way for them to use their imaginations, show some creativity, exercise their little bodies, and have some fun!
How to Make an I’m Bored Jar
Microsoft Word (or similar software)
blank copy paper
empty jar (or other container)
1. To make this easy, I made a short list of eight items. I opened Microsoft Word, selected Avery’s 5395 template (which fits 8 name badges on a page)
2. Using my GraphicStock free trial, I picked images I liked from the same artist for consistency. I downloaded eight images onto my computer (I used jpg, but png, pdf, and eps are also available).
3. Then, I began inserting images into each block along with a description of the activity. (Example: Picture of a caricature along with a note to “Draw a caricature.” This works for readers and non-readers.)
4. Print the sheet of 8 cards. You can use plain white copy paper, card stock, colored paper, or anything else you have on hand. If you have more than 8 ideas, you can continue to add them to the list before printing out the cards.
5. Once you have the printed sheet, simply cut them out, and place them in your “What to Do When I’m Bored” jar. Or, you can have one of your little helpers cut them out for you.
Every time you hear “I’m bored,” simply instruct the child to pick a task. Need a little inspiration for what to put on that list? Here you go…
What to Do When the Kids Say I’m Bored: 100+Ideas
- One chore (mom’s choice)
- One chore (your choice)
- Play with clay or play-dough
- Draw a dinosaur
- Make a map of the neighborhood
- Make a map of your favorite state
- Vacuum one room
- Dust three rooms
- Play a board game
- Play a card game
- Make a time capsule
- Build a blanket fort
- Play outside for 30 minutes
- 15 minutes of screen time
- 30 minutes of screen time
- Interview a grown-up
- Interview your sibling
- Draw a castle
- Draw a city
- Coloring pages from the Internet
- Clean broken crayons from crayon container
- Play hide and seek
- Go swimming
- Go to the library
- Read for 15 minutes
- Read for 30 minutes
- Read for 45 minutes
- Read with mom or dad
- Call a relative
- Tell a story
- Write a play
- Put on a sock-puppet show
- Make play-dough
- Make cookies with a grown-up
- Bake something
- Have a treat
- Eat a piece of fruit
- Eat a veggie
- Make a snack buffet
- Take your toys outside
- Take a walk
- Find five nature items and identify them
- Learn five facts about any animal
- Learn five facts about any president
- Play a board game
- Make a board game of your own
- Customise your clothes
- Make something with your buttons
- Play on the Xbox
- Play on the wii
- Draw a picture blindfolded
- Draw a picture with your feet
- Make a video
- Write a poem
- Google something to make
- Make a card pyramid
- Go and collect some stones and make them into bugs
- Dance to loud music
- Play on the trampoline
- Start a club with your friends
- Tidy craft cupboard
- Sew something
- Bake cookies
- Play out with friends
- Ride your bike
- Water balloon fight
- Wash the car
- Play with the chalks outside
- Make a bookmark
- Make some homemade ice lollies
- Play a Board game
- Look at a Family Photo Album
- Learn to do Laundry
- Listen to Music
- Practice Multiplication
- Play with Pots & Pans
- Sing a Nursery Rhyme Backwards
- Organize Pantry
- Find Shapes In Clouds
- Learn a Magic Trick
- Put on a Play
- Decorate an Old T-Shirt
- Interview a Family Member
- Make of List Of Favorite Things
- Make an Obstacle Course
- Eat Ice-Cream
- Play Hopscotch
- Learn 5 facts about A President
- Eat a Popsicle
- Roller skate Or skateboard
- Build a Fort of Blankets
- Go for A Walk
- Take a Nap
- Play Frisbee
- Do a Good Deed
- Color in your Coloring Books
- Play a Video Game
- Play Dress Up
- Eat a Vegetable
- Make a Sock Puppet
Related: 5 Cheap Summer Activities for Kids
What is GraphicStock?
GraphicStock is here to help with over 250,000 graphics and images, and just scrolling through the images will give you so many different creative ideas. Its users have made t-shirt designs with their images, wedding invitations, and even food decorations. Graphics aren’t just for the professional designer. They can be used in every day life.
Most people don’t know where to get images, and if you’re using google to grab images, you may be running into copyright issues. GraphicStock solves all those needs by giving you royalty free access to their vast library.
GraphicStock is simple to use, you just sign up for an account and start downloading the graphics you want.
For a limited time, you can purchase the one year membership of GraphicStock for $99 (a $588 value!)
How to win a free 1-year account with GraphicStock.com (valued at $588!)
1. Sign up for the 7-day free trial or the limited time $99 annual membership (a $588 value).
2. Visit GraphicStock website and locate an image you would like to use on an innovative project of your own.
3. Comment on this blog, sharing a link to the image that you would like to base your project around if you win.
You will then be entered to win a free 1-year account with GraphicStock.com (valued at $588!)
Have you been avoiding a certain project because it appears to be daunting at first glance? Tackle these projects head on with the help of GraphicStock!
GraphicStock makes you feel inspired and relieved that a project once considered too difficult or too time consuming, will now be as easy as starting an account. Simply put, GraphicStock can help you be more creative in your every day life.
Which one of these project ideas would help you the most?
Idea#1: Amazing Decorations and Invitations – GraphicStock can help you create gorgeous invitations and decorations for your upcoming summer event, birthday party, wedding, or work event.
Idea #2: DIY Projects – GraphicStock is great for your DIY projects, to include:
• DIY Pendants
• Summer vacation photo albums
• Children’s crafts and cutouts
Idea #3: Business Promotion – Need some creative materials and inspiration for your website or blog? GraphicStock saves you the time and energy of creating your own content with their database of 250,000 graphics and images!
Thanks to GraphicStock for sponsoring this project and inspiring me to create my own I’m Bored jar.
What do you do when the kids say I’m bored?