You need quick money to cater for your medical bills and fix your car after an accident. Some of these situations are so dire that you need quick money to save your life and support your loved ones. These needs may tempt you to take a quick settlement, especially if you are financially unstable. However, before you settle for the readily available settlement, there are things you have to consider.
Things to Know Before Accepting the First Settlement Offer
- The adjuster does not represent you- Note that the adjuster represents the insurance company to protect the firm’s best interest. Don’t think that the adjustment is struggling to ensure you receive the maximum compensation possible. It’s not the adjuster’s job! If you read more here, you’ll find out that adjusters would always try to minimize the compensation insurer has to pay, and it may sometimes lead to unfair settlement offers too. In other words, don’t expect the adjuster to inform you when the settlement is meager.
- Accepting the offer is final- One of the common reasons people introduce a quick offer is to obstruct you from realizing the extent of your losses or the severity of the injuries. Therefore, if you accept the settlement, you release the insurance company from future liability for your losses, damages, and injuries. So, if you discover that you need additional surgery in the future or suffer permanent impairment, the insurance company will be off the hook.
- Consider other legal actions- Whenever you rush to accept the first settlement offer you impair your ability to take legal actions against other parties. In most cases, auto accidents could involve other parties, such as underinsured claims against the service provider. Therefore, it is important to consult widely before accepting first offers not to jeopardize other possible claims. You might consider hiring a car accident lawyer in Virginia Beach.
Should I Hire A Car Accident Lawyer in Virginia Beach After an Accident?
Hiring a legal professional is crucial as it would add value to your claim. An accident lawyer will help you in the following ways.
- Proving liability for losses and injuries- One of the most complex aspects of a car accident is proving that the other party’s negligence contributed to the losses and injuries. It is a critical part of the claim as you have the right to compensation if other people’s actions harm you.
Accident scenes are prone to blame-shifting, making it difficult to make the correct judgment. Here, an accomplished personal injury attorney will help make determinations and build a strong argument.
- Handle the insurance company- It would be hectic dealing with insurance companies, especially if you have no negotiating experience. Having an attorney will help evade the highly trained adjusters who work hard to minimize compensation. A car accident lawyer in Virginia Beach will handle all the details of your claim, negotiate with the adjuster, and fight for the compensation you deserve.
- File lawsuits if necessary- With a car accident lawyer, you understand all the regulations and laws that apply to your claim. Besides, the legal professional understands all the options available to get the compensation you deserve. This means that you are always prepared to take the case to court if it serves your best interests.
If you are involved in a car accident, it’s advisable to go for necessary medical checkups before rushing for settlements. It would help if you also had a legal expert to guide you throughout the process for informed decisions and emotional support. Through the lawyer, you are sure to yield the best results, which are worth the wait.
What are the benefits of hiring a car accident lawyer?
Questions to Ask When Meeting a Lawyer