We get it — finding a balance for working moms is tough, especially when you consider the laundry list of to-dos. In the rare moments when you find time for an enchanting evening or a “grown-up” event (ideally where wine is served in abundance), you deserve to look and feel your best.
Image by StockSnap from Pixabay
However, achieving this level of glam isn’t always easy, particularly when it comes to caring for formal attire. Fortunately, looking great in ready-to-wear formal wear is a little easier than most think. We’ve outlined a few simple steps you can take today to ensure your formal attire is ready to go when you are.
1) Keep It Cool—Maintain a Proper Environment
When it comes to keeping your formal attire in the best possible condition, you can start by keeping it cool— your formal wear that is. In particular, you can extend the life of clothing by keeping it out of direct sunlight, which can cause it to fade. And it doesn’t take several years for the fading to occur.
Sun fading can occur in as little as a few hours. Because of this, you should be very cautious when hanging a jacket or blazer in the back of your vehicle. In short, it’s best to store your formal attire in low light to prevent the possibility of fading.
Heat, in general, can be a problem from any of your garments made from furs or animal skins. These types of fabrics must retain its natural oil to prevent degradation and remain supple. Heat can dry the skins out, which will lead to the breakdown of the garment. Keeping your clothing stored in a relatively cool and steady temperature is ideal.
Humidity Can Be a Problem for Formal Attire
In addition, you should be concerned with storing your clothing in an environment with high humidity because it can lead to mildew and mold. For the most part, closets are dark places with minimal movement of air. If you add in excess humidity or moisture into this environment, it can morph your formal attire into a petri dish for mildew.
You can avoid this problem by airing out pieces that may have been subjected to high humidity levels prior to putting it in your closet for short- or long-term storage. It’s also a solid practice to open your closet doors to facilitate air circulation when you leave for trips. If your closet is humid, consider using a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture from the air. However, it’s best to avoid storing formal attire in attics, basements, etc where humidity can run unchecked.
2) Give Your Formal Attire Space
No one likes to be crowded — especially formal attire. The golden rule for promoting the longevity of your formal attire is that it needs to breathe, just like you. By properly spacing out your clothing, you can help prevent wrinkling and heat-trapping. Proper circulation is key for preserving fabrics.
And if your closets include denim or leather items, make sure those two materials do not come in contact with other clothing. For leather and denim formal attire it’s best to use:
- Breathable garment bags for items that have to be hanged
- Individual boxes for footwear
- Dust covers for handbags.
There are other useful reasons why do you need a dust bag, such as protecting your bags or garments from excessive moisture and sun exposure.
3) Avoid Using Plastic Garment Bags for Formal Attire
When you pick up your formal attire dry cleaning, always take them out of the dry cleaner bags immediately. These bags are made of a plastic material that traps moisture and doesn’t allow the garment to breathe properly. The lack of air circulation in plastic dry cleaning bags causes moisture to build, which can damage your formal attire and to mold. Simply put, plastic garment bags can cause discoloration, fading, staining, and the structural breakdown of your formal attire.
Protect Your Formal Attire with High-Quality Garment Bags
The best solution for preserving the look, feel, and performance of your formal attire is to use high-quality garment bags. Look for premium wardrobe bags made from select materials that are free from bleaches, chemicals, and dies that could potentially damage your clothing. On the other hand, bags made from cheap materials have a tendency to bend or crease, which will result in wrinkles to your clothing.
4) Secure Your Formal Attire with Premium Wooden Hangers
When storing your formal attire, it’s best to use premium women’s suit hangers. These high-quality wood hangers are extremely sturdy, reliable, and engineered with an arch and shoulder that will support the shape and structure of your garments. Premium women’s suit hangers will help keep your gorgeous formal wear in showroom condition. Here’s why:
- Premium wooden hangers are an excellent investment that will deliver a lifetime of continuous use.
- They won’t bend and are sturdier, which keeps your formal garments intact.
- Wooden hangers are strong, which means you can even store heavier jackets, winter coats, and more.
- With wooden hangers, your garments are much less likely to slip off and end up on the floor.
No Cheap Wire Hangers for Formal Attire
Don’t make the mistake of using cheap wire hangers to hold and support your formal attire. Here are few reasons why:
- Wire hangers can rust to cause damage to your formal attire.
- Your formal wear will very likely to slip off the hanger and end up on the floor.
- Wire hangers are easy to bend, which reduces their lifespan.
- Wire hangers aren’t ideal for helping to maintain the shapes of formal attire.
No Cheap Plastic Hangers for Formal Wear
When it comes to plastic hangers, they aren’t much better. Besides, you do know that 20 pack of plastic hangers for five dollars is too good to be true, right? Here’s why:
- Plastic hangers are extremely flimsy and have a shorter life span.
- Plastic clothes hangers do nothing to hold the shape of your formal attire. This can reduce the lifespan of your clothing.
- Plastic hangers are slippery, which means your formal attire will end up on the floor in a wrinkled heap.
- Because these hangers are available in a kaleidoscope of colors, it can make closet organization a nightmare and eyesore. Simply put, they look tacky.
In either case, there are several downsides to using cheap hangers and countless benefits of luxury wooden hangers.
5) Know When to Fold Em, Know When to Hang Em
Every garment has its own personality — meaning it performs best when it’s handled and stored in the proper manner. Some garments require hangers, while other pieces should be folded. Knowing when to fold vs hang can extend the life of your pieces. However, the clothes that are best stored on hangers will almost always include:
- Belts, longer fabric accessories, and ties
Bringing it All Together
You’ve made a significant investment in your wardrobe and even more for formal attire. It only makes sense to take the proper steps to maximize your ROI. Challenge yourself to learn more about curating a luxury wardrobe. Don’t stop discovering how to give your treasured garments their maximum lifespan!
[…] for a wedding outfit can be quite a daunting task. What makes it so difficult is that many find it hard to choose from […]
[…] that has a dynamic environment and has a risk of flying or falling objects, the steel toe pulls up footwear can help. It protects you from slipping, tripping, and falling. Whether it is cold or hot, they keep you […]