If you’re looking to take up or further pursue a jewelry-making hobby this new year, you’re going to need the right tools and materials for the craft. Discover the main tools you need to start jewelry casting for your business or hobby.
What is Jewelry Casting?
Jewelry casting is the process by which a wax pattern is made into a jewelry mold and then filled with molten metal or silver to create a custom piece of jewelry. It is also called lost wax casting because the wax is always “lost” during the process of making jewelry. (Maker’s Row Blog)
Metal of Choice
First and foremost, choose your desired metal for your jewelry piece. Silver and bronze are two of the most popular choices for casting jewelry, though you can use whichever precious metals you want to choose if you have the right tools. Keep in mind the melting points of precious metals and what upper temperatures your equipment reaches.
You’ll need somewhere to heat and melt your metals of choice so that they become formable and workable. This is where a crucible comes in. The crucible is a piece of metalworking and casting equipment to hold your materials as they melt.
You can melt your precious metals with a variety of methods. Using a torch is simple and accessible but more time-consuming. If jewelry crafting is your full-time profession or a serious hobby, you may want to upgrade to a furnace or forge for heating.
Casting Molds and Forms
You may have already decided what types of jewelry you wish to make. You’ll need a mold or form to achieve the unique shapes for your jewelry. Casting molds and forms are the most popular to use in jewelry making for all skill levels.
Finally, anyone who works with hot temperatures and hot metals needs the proper safety gear, whether you’re a professional metalworker or a hobbyist. Make sure you have heat-resistant gloves, goggles, and tongs to transport your red-hot materials. Be cautious of your workspace around you when working with torches and transporting hot metals as well.
Jewelry making is a great hobby or business to pursue this new year. Now that you know which tools you need to start jewelry casting, you can create beautiful pieces safely and efficiently.
- If you’re looking for some ideas, check out My Favorite Christmas Gifts from JoyAmo Jewelry.
- In choosing a material, learn Why Gold Vermeil Jewelry is a Great Choice for Everyday Jewelry.
- For gift ideas, these are the Best Jewelry Subscription Boxes For Your Mother.
- If you are buying jewelry, here are 4 Important Factors to Consider Before Purchasing Your Jewelry.
- When making earrings, these Trending Screw Back Earrings Trends to Look Out For in the New Year
- If this is the year you’re going to start a jewelry-making business, here is How To Make Your Crafts Seem More Professional.
- Jewelry making is on this list of 5 Arts and Crafts Business Ideas. Make this year the one you start!