Are you looking for summer activities for kids? These are my favorite activities that will keep your kids busy all summer.
We are about a week into our “summer,” since the last day of school. My daughter is enjoying the day camp she’s going to – trips to the movie theater, dance parties, pool outings, and making new friends.
My teenager is having a little more relaxed start to the summer…at home. But I don’t let him veg out all day. He has chores, a summer reading list, and a list of other activities to keep him off his phone (and other electronics) when he says I’m Bored.
We try to do some family activities during the week, like Chick-fil-A’s Family Night every Tuesday, exercising/swimming at our local rec center, and watching TV shows together. We spend more time together on the weekends.
Here are my favorite summer activities for kids:
Top Ten Summer Activities for Kids
- County Fair – State fairs are full of food, fun, and entertainment. I love them. We look forward to going every year in July. You get outside, get some exercise, see some familiar faces (from last year), and get an amusement park experience in your own backyard.
- Movies – We love having family movie night at home or going to the theater. We are looking forward to the next Transformers movie.
- Reading – My kids both use summer reading lists to prevent brain drain and avoid vegging out all summer.
- Summer Camp – My seven-year-old daughter will be attending a fun day camp that includes sports and games, special speakers/instructors, arts and crafts, and various field trips – all with a focus on overall youth development.
- Indoor Play Centers – Indoor play centers are a great way to have some fun things to do in the summer and stay cool. Indoor play centers often feature inflatables, play areas, play zones, go karts, laser tag in a completed family entertainment center.
- Skating – Skating is a fun way to escape the outside heat, have some fun, and stay cool.
- Swimming – My daughter is in LOVE with swimming. She usually finds someone she knows from school or church at the pool. Often, my teenager will bring a friend with him.
- Night Games – Our backyard is the size of a large field where the kids gather to play. They always have a great time playing outside, but there is something special about night games. When it’s dark outside, that’s when the really fun games begin. Here is a list of games kids can play when it gets dark outside. Our kids like to stargaze, use Sky Map, camp, make smores, catch fireflies (aka lightning bugs), and more.
- Netflix – There are 100’s of family friendly movies on Netflix. Especially during the summer, it’s cool to take our phones, tablets, or computers outside for viewing. Some of the most popular posts on my site are my lists of movies on Netflix. I have one for most seasons, holidays, and genres. So many families have Netflix subscriptions these days. You can use them for educational purposes or pick one for family movie night. On each post, you will also find a free checklist of movies you can download.
- I’m Bored list – I have a list of over 100 activities to do with kids to keep them occupied. I simply collected a list of ideas to give my kids when they come to me and say “I’m bored.” These activities are an easy way for them to use their imaginations, show some creativity, exercise their little bodies, and have some fun!
Usually, I’ll bring bottled water on our outings. I love having drinks available in the refrigerator or freezer (at home or work) that I can grab on my way out the door to summer activities for the kids.
Why We Love Fruit Shoot
We think Fruit Shoot® is better than other juice drinks for several reasons:
• The bottle is an improvement to the pouch.
• The resealable cap allows children more independence and lets Fruit Shoot® go with you all day.
• The bottle is designed for on-the-go and is durable enough to withstand adventure, no matter your child’s “thing.”
• Pouches must be consumed in one sitting and mom/dad often must hold them while children play, requiring the kids to rely on their parent(s) whenever they need a drink.
• Straws can cause messes, spills, and get lost. The resealable cap cuts down on the mess and lasts longer.
The Fruit Shoot Journey to the US
Fruit Shoot®’s humble beginnings began in the 1930s with a small chemist in the UK. Today, Fruit Shoot® is a global business presence across many continents and cities throughout the world. They are committed to the production of great tasting drinks that quench the world. Loved by moms, dads, adults, and kids of all ages.