It’s a well-known fact that learning a language as an adult has multiple advantages such as boosting brain power and improving memory. It also helps develop critical thinking skills like decision making and multi-tasking.
For parents – who are constantly busy, tired, and strapped for time – finding the energy and squeezing in an extra activity, such as learning a foreign language, might seem close to impossible. Usually, however, if there’s a will, there’s a way – especially if this leads to an enhanced relationship between parent and child, as well as the opportunity to transform and improve their existing lifestyle.
Children learn more from what they see and experience first-hand than from what they are told. For this reason, learning a foreign language as a parent can be beneficial to you and your child in a number of ways.
Setting a positive example: When parents show enthusiasm and dedication to learning a new language, it sets a powerful example for their children. It sparks their curiosity and interest for learning, encouraging children to embrace new challenges and expand their horizons.
Cultural understanding: Culture is embedded within a language, and learning a foreign language exposes parents to different customs, traditions, and ways of thinking. This cultural understanding fosters empathy, tolerance, and appreciation for diversity, giving parents the tools to raise more culturally sensitive and open-minded children.
Parental involvement in education: Experiencing the joys and sorrows of learning something new for the first time helps parents see things from their childrens’ points of view. It ensures that parents can support their children academically and emotionally, promoting a positive learning environment at home.
Promoting a lifelong love for learning: Learning a foreign language as a parent is an ongoing journey, and it exemplifies the idea that learning is a lifelong pursuit. Parents who continue to embrace new challenges and pursue education become role models for their children, inspiring them to approach learning with enthusiasm and determination throughout their lives.
Re-entering the workforce
For parents who are returning to work or seeking career advancement, knowing a foreign language can be a valuable asset. Many companies today operate on a global scale, and bilingual or multilingual individuals are sought after in various industries.
For mothers re-entering the workforce after taking a break to raise a family, learning a new language can be a transformative step that not only boosts their professional profile but also empowers them to thrive in the competitive job market.
- Learning a new language can help you unlock global opportunities. As companies extend their operations globally, the demand for employees who can communicate effectively with international clients, partners, and customers continues to rise. By acquiring language skills, they become more valuable assets to employers seeking to expand their reach into new markets.
- Learning a foreign language can enhance cross-cultural communication and prevent misunderstandings caused by language barriers. Being able to communicate with co-workers and clients in their native language not only bridges linguistic gaps but also helps build stronger relationships and trust. This newfound ability to engage in various aspects of their work can lead to increased job satisfaction and a sense of belonging within the organization.
- It can help expand professional networks. Networking plays a crucial role in career advancement, and language proficiency can serve as a powerful icebreaker in professional settings. By speaking multiple languages, moms can connect with a broader range of professionals, attend international conferences, and join global industry associations.
Combining career and motherhood
Studying and working are demanding and time-consuming feats, even more so for parents who already have busy lives. Luckily, technology has revolutionized how we learn and work, offering flexibility and convenience. For mothers seeking to enhance their careers and earn income while balancing family responsibilities, teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) online emerges as a popular and viable option.
With the advent of technology and online teaching platforms, moms can now seize the opportunity to teach English as a foreign language to students from around the world, right from the comfort of their own homes. As online TEFL teachers, moms can experience different cultures and traditions firsthand while helping their students overcome language barriers and empowering them to communicate confidently in English. This sense of achievement not only benefits the students’ personal growth but also brings immense satisfaction to the s as they witness the progress and success of their students.
In addition, moms in online TEFL can expand their professional network through interactions with students, fellow educators, and educational institutions from various countries. This network can lead to future teaching opportunities, collaborations, or even insights into potential international job openings. Obtaining a TEFL certification and venturing into the online teaching domain demonstrates adaptability and determination, qualities highly valued by employers seeking versatile and resilient team members. If teaching English online sounds like a suitable opportunity, check out The TEFL Org guide to teach English online.
Which language will you pick?
In conclusion, learning a new language can be a game-changer for moms re-entering the workforce. From unlocking global opportunities to enhancing cross-cultural communication, breaking down language barriers, and gaining a competitive edge, the benefits of language proficiency in the workplace are obvious!
- 6 Beautiful Languages To Try Learning As A Hobby
- The easiest languages to learn for English-speaking children
- How to help your kid learn a foreign language?
- How To Get Creative When Teaching Your Child a Second Language
- Learning a New Language | Five Effortless Tips and Tricks