When you decide to buy a home in Canberra, you need to first have your finances reviewed for preapproval of the home loan. In this process, the financial providers have the opportunity to determine if the borrower has the necessary resources to pay a mortgage. In addition, homebuyers learn the various loans they’re applicable for in the financing of a new house.
A majority of the home loan process involves the lender maneuvering paperwork in an effort to verify the financial security and ability of the buyer. There will be a significant number of documents needed from you for the preapproval. Follow for a guideline on borrowing for a mortgage in Australia.
** Proving Identity
In order to prevent fraud, the Australian government has a “100-point” system for personal identification in which a certain number of points have been designated for each major document used for identifying purposes.
As it applies to mortgages, consumers need to offer 100 points of identification as a way to avoid the potential for mistaken identity or stolen identification accusations when applying for a loan. Some examples of points include
- 25 points: Driver’s License
- 70 points: Passport
- 40 points: Centrelink Pension Card
- 70 points: Birth Certificate
** Employment and Income Verification
You must have a reliable source of income to obtain preapproval for a mortgage and proof of the same indicating steady, consistent work. Ideally, you will have been employed with the same company for an extended period and have pay on a regular basis.
Self-employed individuals need to show stability with specific documentation such as:
- Tax documents less than 18 months
- Pay invoices/slips minimally of three months
There are some financial providers who specialize in working with self-employed borrowers since the criteria and documentation differ for these individuals.
** Savings Confirmation
In Australia, loan providers require assurance from those looking for home loans that they have adequate financial management skills requiring bank statements of a specific duration to assess how money is maintained in savings accounts. Financial institutions are wary of those attempting to obtain mortgages and demand substantial documentation to evaluate for sufficient responsibility.
** Debts Incurred To Date
It’s critical that you disclose any and all debts incurred up to the present date when requested by the lien holder. These need to be taken into consideration whether you can afford a home loan. You don’t want a favorable decision without all debt considered only to find that you ultimately can’t afford the loan.
You need to include any billing statements from other loans, credit cards, or debt that a provider would need to accurately assess your capabilities.
** Asset Confirmation
In Australia, you can offer the council rates for proof of ownership of any real-estate properties you may own. Also, ensure that you offer evidence of all other owned assets.
Mortgage Lenders Reviewing Process
It goes without saying, in filling in the application for the home loan, you must thoroughly review the form for completeness – a few times to be secure, before returning it.
Each bank has criteria for which they evaluate applications to determine approval and often the policies are not publicly documented, leaving homebuyers to fret whether approval will be received. There are common things most mortgage providers in Australia like Grapevine Mortgages look for that borrowers can pay attention to.
- Type of borrower: Each financial provider has a profile they prefer with specific applicants they are likely to deny.
- Borrower’s age: You need to be at least 18 years old to receive approval for a home. Borrowers of advanced age (55+) are a little more challenged with the approval process having to give the lender an “exit plan” showing capability for repayment with the likelihood of only receiving shorter terms.
- Proof Of Residency: Buyers aren’t excluded who are not permanent residents of Australia currently, but you may have limits on what you can borrow and you might be required to have a larger deposit amount with the possibility that you seek the “Foreign Investment Review Board” approval.
If you’re a non-resident with an Australian citizen partner, the application will be reviewed as any permanent resident.
- Borrowing Situation: The financial provider needs to know your borrowing capacity whether you are doing so as an individual or sourcing as a company or for a trust. It is possible to obtain a loan as a company or trustee but there will be a requirement for specific documents with different criteria than a standard home mortgage lien. These exclude associations or clubs and LLCs or limited liabilities.
- Credit Score: Your credit history and score will be reviewed in an effort to determine your repayment capacity. Regardless if there are some rough spots in your history, there are still providers willing to work with cases like yours with some specializing in “bad credit” specifically those with issues like writs, judgments, defaults, or potentially bankruptcy.
A financial institution wants to know why you want to buy. Your intention dictates the loan type you’re eligible for as well as the amount.
- Residence: If you plan to live in the structure, there will be likely fewer restrictions and the mortgage will likely have a lesser interest rate attached.
- Investment properties: In most cases, those buying properties for investment can borrow higher amounts but the criteria are significantly more stringent and the interest rates are higher. Loan providers feel these borrowers have a greater capacity for repayment with rental income to help service the lien.
As a borrower you need to show that you have saved money for a deposit on the property of at minimum 5%. For anything below 20% the lender will require an insurance policy in case of default. The borrower will be responsible for obtaining LMI or lender’s mortgage insurance which can increase the cost of the lien substantially. Five percent of this deposit must come from genuine savings you’ve held for a period of at least three months. Learn how to improve your borrowing capability at https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6262393/ways-to-improve-your-chances-of-getting-a-home-loan/ .
Once you receive preapproval, the process will have been worth it because you can confidently look for a home with sellers taking your offers seriously due to the bank standing behind you.
More Tips for First Time Homebuyers