Anxiety disorders are devastating mental health disorders that can severely affect a person’s ability to think, respond, and function in different situations. The term anxiety means nervousness, worry, or self-doubt.
There are numerous causes of anxiety, and sometimes they are easy to recognize, while sometimes they can be hidden deeply. This world is materialistic, and every person passes through this state at some point in life. Still, it can be a temporary condition for some people, and for some, it can be long lasting, severely affecting their lifestyle, family relationships, and work.
Anxiety disorders have become the most prevalent psychiatric disorders with a high burden of illness(1-3). There are numerous types of anxiety-like phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorders, panic disorders, and post-traumatic stress disorders. The most widely used treatment for anxiety disorders is a combination of medical therapy and psychotherapy. But psychotherapy for anxiety can never be successful if there is no collaboration between patient and psychologist.
Psychotherapy helps find the root cause of your anxiety behavior. As psychotherapy is successfully done via a good relationship between psychologist and anxiety patient, A Phycologist will work on your main issues. If the reason behind is anxiety is emotional issues, he/she will help you to address adequately and how to cooperate with these issues. The psychologist will work on childhood and family problems if they are the main reason for anxiety disorders. Psychotherapy is beneficial not only for patients but also for family too. It helps family member to comprehend from what is patient is going through and equally explains the family members to find ways to eliminate anxiety via cooperation with the patient. Psychotherapy results are long-lasting as it focuses on the root cause of the issues.
There are numerous other benefits of psychotherapy.
- These are a good relation with your psychologist, on which you believe and share your burden. Treatment can last as long as you want, and until your psychologist thinks that there is a benefit.
- Psychotherapy never judges a patient; doctors try to sympathy with patients in the best possible way.
- Psychotherapy focuses on the main problems related to emotional distress.
Research has recommended that psychotherapy has become the most successful treatment for anxiety, while medications can only relieve symptoms. Psychological counseling benefits go beyond treating symptoms as it digs deep into the leading cause of the problem and offers solutions to patients’ concerns.
Anxiety patients love to talk, they want to share their burden, feelings, and that’s where psychotherapy comes in.
As Fred Rogers said, “Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary.”
- How different psychotherapy techniques can impact you
- What is continuity psychology?
- What is cognitive psychotherapy?
- Can I Get Free Therapy Online?
- Kessler RC, Petukhova M, Sampson NA, Zaslavsky AM, Wittchen HU. Twelve‐month and lifetime prevalence and lifetime morbid risk of anxiety and mood disorders in the United States. International journal of methods in psychiatric research. 2012;21(3):169-84.
- Wittchen H-U, Jacobi F, Rehm J, Gustavsson A, Svensson M, Jönsson B, et al. The size and burden of mental disorders and other disorders of the brain in Europe 2010. European neuropsychopharmacology. 2011;21(9):655-79.
- Chisholm D, Sweeny K, Sheehan P, Rasmussen B, Smit F, Cuijpers P, et al. Scaling-up treatment of depression and anxiety: a global return investment analysis. The Lancet Psychiatry. 2016;3(5):415-24.
The information on this page is not intended to be a substitution for diagnosis, treatment, or informed professional advice. You should not take any action or avoid taking any action without consulting with a qualified mental health professional.