Need an easy week night recipe, that the kids will eat (and love)? Here you go!
Neat Sloppy Joes
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (any type)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 hamburger buns
- Place ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until evenly browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion and green pepper, cover the pan, and cook until tender and transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the tomato soup (undiluted), ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce into the beef mixture. Season with salt and garlic powder. Heat to a simmer over low heat, and cook until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently to prevent it from burning on the bottom.
- Spoon the hot beef mixture onto buns and serve.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 30 min.
- ground beef $3.98
- chopped onion $0.25
- cup chopped green pepper $0.25
- tomato soup $0.50
- ketchup $0.12
- vinegar $0.12
- brown sugar $0.08
- Worcestershire sauce $0.12
- teaspoon salt – free
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder $0.01
- hamburger buns $1.19
- served with bag of frozen broccoli $1
- Grand Total $7.62
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes: Neat Sloppy Joes