Need an easy week night recipe, that the kids will eat (and love)? Here you go!
Neat Sloppy Joes
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (any type)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 hamburger buns
- Place ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until evenly browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion and green pepper, cover the pan, and cook until tender and transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the tomato soup (undiluted), ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce into the beef mixture. Season with salt and garlic powder. Heat to a simmer over low heat, and cook until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently to prevent it from burning on the bottom.
- Spoon the hot beef mixture onto buns and serve.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 30 min.
- ground beef $3.98
- chopped onion $0.25
- cup chopped green pepper $0.25
- tomato soup $0.50
- ketchup $0.12
- vinegar $0.12
- brown sugar $0.08
- Worcestershire sauce $0.12
- teaspoon salt – free
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder $0.01
- hamburger buns $1.19
- served with bag of frozen broccoli $1
- Grand Total $7.62
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes: Neat Sloppy Joes
That sounds really good. Do you have a recipe for hamburger helper?
Found this recipe online for Hamburger Helper. Looks good! http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/homemade-hamburger-helper/
Lesley T says
Doubled the recipe and made it tonight, so delicious!
Just Plain Marie says
Looks tasty – what makes it “neat”, though?
Thanks for stopping by Marie! The mixture is thick, so they are ‘neat’ rather than sloppy.
This looks yummy. We love Sloppy Joes at our house. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from Home Matters.
Brandi Clevinger says
Sloppy joes are my favorite childhood dinner. I don’t like the canned sauce, so I haven’t made them in years. This is a great recipe! I have all these ingredients with meat and buns in the freezer, so looks like I have dinner for tomorrow!
Thanks for sharing at Inspire Me Monday!
I love sloppy joes!
We love sloppy Joe’s at our house! Your recipe sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty