Let’s face it – the bathroom might not be the biggest room in your house, but it does pack in a lot of stuff. From towels and toiletries to bath toys and beauty products, it’s no surprise that things can quickly go from tidy to topsy-turvy.
Now, that’s where clever storage solutions can work their charm and transform even the tiniest bathroom into a neat, well-organized haven.
However, optimizing storage in a small bathroom isn’t just about jamming in extra cabinets or piling up shelves. It’s all about squeezing the most out of every square foot you’ve got. And if you’re living in a bustling city like Seattle, with its charming mix of architectural styles and compact urban homes, mastering the art of small-space storage becomes even more essential. And you’re not alone in this. Zillow Research highlighted in a recent study that 72% of Seattle homeowners are considering at least one home improvement project this year. It’s only natural to want our spaces to be as functional and organized as possible.
Bathroom remodels, interestingly, have emerged as the most popular project on homeowners’ lists, with over half of those surveyed planning to spruce up their bathrooms this year. Buyers, too, prefer bathrooms with spa-like features, which can often command a price premium. But don’t worry. Whether you’re planning a full remodel or just want to squeeze more storage out of your existing space, we’ve got some smart, space-maximizing ideas for your bathroom.
Why Bathroom Storage Should Be Part of Your Remodeling Plan
Incorporating smart storage solutions can also significantly increase the value of your home. Potential buyers, especially in bustling markets like Seattle, appreciate efficient use of space.
Given the intricacies of bathroom remodeling, it’s always a good idea to consult with professionals. If you’re in Seattle, the need for compact and efficient storage solutions is even more pronounced due to the city’s housing trends. Therefore, it would be wise to look for Seattle bathroom remodeling experts to guide you. They will have the experience and local knowledge to provide customized, smart storage solutions that work perfectly in your space.
14 Storage Ideas For Your Next Bathroom Remodel
Don’t let your small bathroom space bog you down. Even with limited square footage, you can still maximize storage and keep everything neat and tidy. Here are 14 clever storage ideas that will transform your bathroom.
- Put Up a Towel Rack: Maximize your vertical space. You can switch to a wall-mounted shelf or storage unit with open storage cubbies that can provide a perfect spot for your extra towels and small essentials. Roll your larger towels for them to fit snugly into the cubbies, freeing up space in your cabinets or linen closet.
- Medicine Cabinet Makeover: Get more from your bathroom wall cabinet with a nifty trick. Fix a magnetic memo board inside the door to create additional storage for small grooming tools and beauty products. With the help of magnetic containers or simply attaching magnets to your products, you can secure your items neatly inside the door. Ensure everything is organized so the door can still close fully.
- Basket Shelves: Save money and space with this ingenious solution. By fixing baskets to the walls in your bathroom, you’ll create an easy-to-reach storage spot. It’s perfect for lotions, small towels, and makeup. Simply secure the baskets to the wall using nails.
- Separate Items for Easier Access: Streamline your storage with separate containers. Use DIY fabric storage bins to sort and store your cosmetics and other bathroom essentials. Display these visually pleasing bins on open shelves or your countertop while reserving your drawer space for lesser-used items.
- Create a Cleaning Supply Cabinet: Make the most of your spacious under-sink cabinet by storing your toiletries and household cleaning products there. Add a tiered organizer to fully utilize vertical space, along with a bucket or caddy for carrying supplies. Storing a trash bag dispenser and a paper towel holder here would also be convenient.
- Behind-the-Door Hooks: Take advantage of your vanity cabinets. Affix adhesive hooks inside the door to keep your hair tools organized and out of the way. Below them, mount a wire rack to store hair products.
- Shower Organizer: Hanging organizers aren’t just for the shower. Consider a wire shower organizer with multiple storage options to keep towels dry and toiletries at hand. Position it in an easily accessible area.
- Magnetic Strips: Stick a magnetic strip inside a cabinet or along the counter to manage smaller metal items. Bobby pins, hair clips, tweezers, and nail clippers will stay secure and easy to find.
- Discover Unconventional Storage Areas: Don’t overlook unconventional storage spots, like the space under the sink. A U-shaped drawer designed to accommodate plumbing fixtures is a clever way to maximize vanity storage, keeping extra paper products and soaps conveniently at hand.
- Dual-Purpose Mirror: A mirror with hidden storage shelves is a clever solution for a tight space. Use it as a regular mirror, and when needed, open it to reveal shelves for your healthcare and beauty products.
- Bathroom Cart: Consider repurposing a bar cart into a movable bathroom storage unit. Replace shakers and glasses with towels and lotions, creating a portable styling or manicure station. When not in use, just roll it away into a closet.
- Cleaning Product Storage: Transform a wall-mounted file folder or magazine rack into storage for cleaning products. Hang it on the side of a vanity or the inside of a closet door to keep essentials at hand. Label each slot for a more organized setup.
- Furniture Repurposing: Use furniture from other areas of your home to add extra storage to your bathroom. A slim glass display case can fit between the vanity and wall, holding extra towels near the sink. Use a basket on top for items you’d prefer to keep out of sight.
- Kitchen Items for Storage: Use a kitchen paper towel holder to maximize vertical counter space. Stack your bracelets on it for an appealing display. This trick can also be used for organizing hair ties. Customize the look of your holder with a little paint to match your bathroom decor.
When you plan to remodel your bathroom, consider your storage needs as a fundamental part of the design process rather than an afterthought. A clutter-free bathroom enhances the aesthetics, increases functionality, and makes your morning and evening routines much smoother. By utilizing these creative hacks, you can maximize the space in your small bathroom, ensuring everything is organized and accessible. No matter the size of your bathroom, the right storage can make it feel spacious and luxurious.
- 5 Tools to Use When Planning Your Bathroom Remodeling
- How to Plan a Bathroom Remodel
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Remodeling Your Bathroom to Perfection
- Essential Tips for Incorporating Structural Steel in Home Remodeling
- 5 TIPS TO MAKE YOUR BATHROOM FEEL MORE SPACIOUS