You can’t really control the quality of water that comes through your tap. What you can do, however, is filter the water that your family drinks, protecting them from harmful contaminants. If you are looking for the best water ionizer, this is different because it can raise the pH of drinking water by using electrolysis to separate the incoming water stream into acidic and alkaline components.
Once you make the decision to invest in a filter, it’s important that you do the proper research in order for you to get the most effective filter for your home at an affordable price.
Check Waterfilterspot for more information and equipment reviews for water filters and also improve your water quality.
Below is a guide that will help you make the right decision in terms of water filters:
1. Aquagear 8-Cup Water Filter Pitcher
Aquagear is a US-made 5-stage filter, independently certified to have surpassed the NSF standard 42-improvement of smell and taste of water and the NSF standard 53- lead removal. Its cartridge reduces 90% to 99% of various contaminants. This filter is great for tap water but isn’t built to handle well water; which requires stronger filters. It’s perfect for a family of three or less that wishes to stay hydrated on a budget. Its cartridge reduces 90% to 99% of various contaminants. This filter is great for tap water but isn’t built to handle well water; which requires stronger filters. It’s perfect for a family of three or less that wishes to stay hydrated on a budget.
- Lifetime guarantee – free replacement upon breakage
- Reduces lead, chloroform, mercury in drinking water
- BPA-free, DPA-approved material
- Long filter life
- Manual filling required
- No filter life indicator
- Small capacity, not suitable for large families
2. Big Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter
This Berkey water filter comes with arsenic and fluoride filters. It also has the Black Berkey purification elements that are certified both by State and EPA accredited labs. These purification elements can remove more than 99.99% of pathogenic bacteria and can mechanically remove red food color.
Effectiveness is a top priority for the Big Berkey therefore it takes its time to process the water; almost two hours to finish 2.25 gallons of water. It’s available from both Berkey US and Berkey Canada.
- Removes fluoride and arsenic and also reduces other metals and chemicals
- Long filter life
- Stainless steel bottle included
- Requires manual filling
3. Home Master Artesian Reverse Osmosis
Reverse osmosis filters are some of the strongest drinking water filters. They can remove more than 99% of the most dangerous contaminants found in water. This water filter system offers 7 stages of water purification and enhancement.
The Best Reverse Osmosis Systems work incredibly fast. With the right conditions, it’s able to produce a whopping 75 gallons of purified water daily; the equivalent of a cup a minute. Installation may be tricky but maintenance is easy and the filters require a change at least once a year. It can comfortably accommodate a family of 3-6.
- Super effective in contaminant removal
- Adds healthy minerals back after filtration
- Low water wastage
- Easy maintenance
- Requires under-sink space for installation
- May need professional installation if you don’t know basic drilling
4. Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter
The Culligan is small, simple, and compact. This makes it easy to connect to the head of your faucet. It’s able to remove the smell of chlorine or any foul odor or taste found in tap water. The filter can also remove rust, sand, lead, dirt, and sediment particles that could be as small as 0.5 microns.
You can get a filtered cup of water in less than 30 seconds and it is quite easy to set up. However, the filter can’t handle more than 200 gallons in its lifetime. It will, therefore, work for a household of 3 or less.
- Portable, suitable for dorms and rental apartments
- Easy to install
- Efficient and affordably priced
- Prone to leakage
- Can’t handle large amounts of water
5. Home Master Whole House Well Water Filtration System
This filter removes large particles and algae found in well water, bringing it to a basic clean level before further treatments are applied. This product comes with 3 cartridges for the 3 stages of filtration.
It’s important to note that although it is an effective filter, this system doesn’t remove all organisms and chemicals found in water. It makes the water clean enough for showering but for drinking water, you will need to install an extra under-sink filter.
- Effective in reducing iron and other sediments
- Gives water a fresh taste
- Easy installation
- Does not kill pathogenic organisms
6. Home Master TMHP HydroPerfection
The Home Master TMHP HydroPerfection is an upgrade of the Home Master Artesian. It has effective pre and post-carbon filters and reverse osmosis membranes. It also comes with iron filtration materials. The Home Master Hydroperfection kills microorganisms with a UV chamber that destroys 99.99% of any microorganisms. The water you get is very close to distilled water.
- Effective in contaminant and pathogen removal
- Remineralizes water after filtration
- Low water wastage
- Easy maintenance
- Bulky and needs quite some room for installation
- May require professional assistance setting up
7. Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain Water Softener
This filter works as a salt-based system for water softening. It removes calcium and magnesium with ion exchange, effectively softening the water. The softener saves your hair and skin from dryness and irritation when the water is used for cleaning and also protects your pipe system and other appliances from limescale damage.
- Extra-durable resin
- Economical in the long term
- Needs pre-filter for an enhanced effect
8. AquaBliss High Output 12-Stage Shower Filter
It may not soften water the same way a whole softening system would but the AquaBliss is an easy solution to skin irritation and brittle hair caused by hard water. You could also use a water softener if you have hard water. This small filter has 12 stages of water treatment. It reduces sediment quantity in the water making it safe for showering.
- Reduces contaminants, producing safe water for showering
- Affordable, portable, easy to install
- Does not significantly soften water
9. Sawyer Squeeze All-in-One 0.1 Micron Water Filter
This is quite a powerful filter despite its small size. It can remove 99.99% of all bacteria, microorganisms, and contaminants down to the size of 0.1 microns from any freshwater source. It’s lightweight therefore making it convenient to travel with.
As small as it is, it can filter up to 540 gallons of clean water on a daily basis. For someone who wants to travel, it’s a handy tool to have in your luggage for when you come across a freshwater source.
- Highly effective in cleaning water
- Super long filter life
- Lightweight, portable, convenient
- Quick to filter water
- Can’t process a large amount of water at once
10. Travel Berkey Water Filter (Stainless Steel)
If you enjoy long trips into the outdoors and often find yourself lacking enough water, the Travel Berkey Canada is a recommended companion. This filter system has fluoride and arsenic reduction elements as well as BB9 filter elements that will prove convenient when you need to drink from a river or lake.
These elements remove pathogenic bacteria, parasites, and cysts. They can also extract harmful chemicals from the water. Its stainless steel housing holds up to 1.5 gallons of water at a go.
- Effective in producing safe, clean water
- Processes a decent amount of water at once
- Comes with a stainless steel bottle
- Requires manual noting of replacement time
11. Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
The Intex is simple to operate and perfect for residential above-ground pools. It boasts of a pump flow rate of 2100 gallons per hour. It also has a 24-hour timer allowing your pool to manage itself without manual involvement.
Your pool will be kept free of dirt, algae, and large sediments thanks to the chamber of fine sand. It’s worth pointing out that this sand requires replacement once every five years or so.
- Fast in filtering pool water
- Minimal maintenance required
- Affordable and easy to use
- Can’t work on large pools (max 19600 gallons)
12. Pelican NaturSoft Salt-Free Water
The NaturSoft is a salt-free softener that converts hard water minerals to a crystallized form. This makes it difficult for them to adhere to surfaces such as your hair, skin, pool tiles, or pipe system.
It may have an initial high price but in the long term, you’ll find that its cost is rather convenient. Installation is simple and has next to no operation costs. It uses neither electricity nor salt to work therefore, there’s no wastewater produced.
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Easy installation
- Low operation/maintenance cost
- High initial cost
Is My Water Clean Enough?
Before getting a filtration device, it’s advisable that you get your water tested first.
Filters are made to tackle different contaminants, therefore no filter can remove all contaminants. For this reason, knowing the right type of filter for your water source is important. For those using communal water, there probably is a water quality report in your town or state. You can find this information on the United States Environmental Protection Agency website.
Another method is to get a water analysis test kit. You can easily get this kit online or at local stores. Generally, they have strips that change color when exposed to contaminants in your water. With these strips, you get to find out whether or not your water is contaminated and in some cases, how badly some substances have contaminated your water.
John Ellis says
One of the best articles about water softener and I actually enjoyed reading it. Keep up the great effort!