If you have ever been to a place with extreme temperatures such as a desert or a rainforest, you would certainly remember the experience. The difference in temperatures between locations is their humidity. Humidity is the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere. The atmosphere in a desert contains little or no water while that in rainforests contain a lot of water. Experts measure humidity when forecasting the weather. The information from the weather forecast helps people with saunas and gardeners to plan their activities.
What is a hygrometer?
A hygrometer is a device used to measure humidity. Over the years, hygrometers have taken different forms. Today’s hygrometers come in two primary types: analog and digital hygrometers.
Digital hygrometers rely on a composite coil to record the humidity while their digital counterparts use either resistive or capacitive sensors. In this article, we will talk about what you should know about digital hygrometers.
What you should know about digital hygrometers
- Measuring Humidity. Although the electronic compositions of a digital hygrometer differ from those of an analog one, the measuring principle is the same. Both have a small, moisture-absorbent material that is exposed to the air. When this material absorbs moisture, it expands. In dry conditions, the material loses moisture forcing it to contract. As the moisture level changes, so does the electrical properties. The measurements and changes in the electrical properties collate to specific humidity readings on the hygrometer’s digital display.
- Uses. The digital hygrometer has the following primary uses.
- Weather Observation. Along with other weather instruments, a digital hygrometer is a crucial tool. Humidity is vital to weather forecasting since it can help in determining the chances of having rainfall, fog, and dew. Humidity is also the determinant of how cold or hot the outside feels. High humidity makes us feel hot since it slows the body’s ability to cool itself with sweat.
- Measuring Indoor Conditions. The relative humidity is an essential measurement for indoors. Relative humidity affects the comfort of your house, mold, allergies, and the life span of your property. Today’s digital hygrometers can recommend the average level to maintain in your home, depending on the time of the year. Using this recommendation, you can adjust your cooling and heating system, run a humidifier or dehumidifier to keep your house in range.
- Hygrometer Apps. Currently, you can now download a digital hygrometer app on your smartphone. However, your smartphone should have an inbuilt humidity sensor. Alternatively, you can use Bluetooth or USB to connect your smartphone to a humidity sensor. Some apps may also work directly by detecting your location through the phone’s GPS satellite service. The phone sends a query to your local weather station, which then sends back the humidity measurements to your phone.
- Testing your Hygrometer Accuracy. You can check the accuracy of your digital hygrometer by wrapping it with a damp cloth for about six hours. If it shows a reading that is below 95%, it is off the scale, and you need to adjust it to read 95%.
With this information, you now know the importance of a digital hygrometer. Visit weatherstationadvisor.com for the best hygrometer reviews.