As a working mom, I spend upwards of an hour traveling each day to drop my children off in the morning, drive to work, pick the children up in the afternoon, and drive home. Rather than complain or be sour about it, I decided to use that time as wisely as I can. While the children are in the car, we try to enjoy that time together. Sometimes that means sharing a story about something that happened during the day or it may even include singing a song we like on the radio, together. However, if I am in the car alone, these are ways I can still be productive.
- listen to audio books (including free Kindle eBooks).
- listen to You Tube broadcasts
- spend time on focused thinking (great article by Laura Vanderkam, author of 168 Hours)
- enjoy music
- make phone calls (usually using my Bluetooth)
- capture thoughts on a voice recorder
- decompress before arriving to pick up the kids or at home
- pray or listen to a speaker, Bible reading, or music that will enrich my soul
By the time I arrive at my destination, I feel like I am prepared to deal with the next challenge or feel like I have accomplished another task for the day.
Other Ways to Use Commuting Time Effectively:
Make the Most of Your Commute: Using Commuting Time Efficiently
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. When you use them, you support this site. Thank you!)
How do you use your time on the road?