In a quest for a healthier and more sustainable lifestyle, it’s important to understand our efforts can go beyond recycling and our energy conservation. To the surprise of many, cleaning products and cleaning routines are one of the biggest areas which can really help reduce our negative impact on the planet, which can help in living in a more sustainable way.
Making a transition to becoming more sustainable with your cleaning routine is far more than a passing trend. It allows you to make a positive impact not only in your own home but in the surrounding area.
By opting for natural cleaning solutions, it reduces your exposure to harsh chemicals, protecting you, your family and pets.
However, the benefits of cleaning without chemicals extend beyond personal well-being. Our planet also stands to gain from our environmentally conscious cleaning practices. By adopting sustainable cleaning approaches, we actively reduce our environmental impact and contribute to a healthier and cleaner Earth.
Essential Sustainable Cleaning Supplies
When we think of natural cleaning methods, we usually think of ways to save more water, and while this is an excellent approach, the biggest impact is in the tools we use. Having the right tools and supplies is essential for an effective and environmentally friendly clean. Here are some key non-chemical cleaning supplies to consider:
Natural Cleaning Ingredients
- Baking Soda: A versatile and gentle abrasive that effectively cleans and deodorizes various surfaces.
- White Vinegar: Known for its acidic properties, vinegar is excellent for cutting through grease, removing stains, and is a natural disinfectant.
- Lemon Juice: With its fresh smell and natural acidity, it is an effective cleaner and deodorizer, which is particularly good for cutting through grime and eliminating odours.
- Essential Oils: Harness the power of nature’s scents to add fragrance and antibacterial properties to your cleaning solutions. Options like lavender, tea tree, and lemon essential oils offer both pleasant aromas and cleaning benefits.
Long-Lasting Cleaning Tools
- Microfibre Cloths: Opt for reusable microfibre cloths instead of single use cloths or paper towels. They are highly effective at trapping dust and dirt and can be washed and reused multiple times.
- Vileda Turbo Spin Mop: Consider investing in durable cleaning tools like the Vileda Turbo Spin Mop, which is made from recycled plastic. This mop features a mop head designed to have 20% more particle pickup than standard microfibre, ensuring thorough cleaning. While also having a machine washable mop head.
Durable Scrub Brushes
Durable Scrub Brushes
- Look for scrub brushes made from sustainable materials or recycled plastic. These brushes are durable, effective at removing tough stains, and reduce the environmental impact associated with conventional plastic brushes.
- Consider using steam cleaners as a chemical-free alternativefor deep cleaning carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces. Steam effectively kills bacteria and allergens, eliminating the need for harsh chemicals.
Remember, the key to sustainable cleaning is to minimise the use of harmful chemicals and reduce waste. By choosing natural cleaning ingredients and durable cleaning tools, you can achieve a sparkling clean home while minimising your impact on the environment.
Practical Tips for a Non-chemical Cleaning Routine
Once you’ve made a change in the cleaning tools you use, it’s time to complement it with an efficient routine that’s good for you and good for the environment. Here are some practical tips to help you establish a more sustainable cleaning routine:
Create a Cleaning Schedule
- Develop a cleaning schedule that allows you to maintain a regular cleaning routine without feeling overwhelmed. This ensures that you stay on top of cleaning tasks while avoiding the need for excessive cleaning sessions that may require more resources.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Minimise waste by adopting the mantra of reduce, reuse, and recycle. Use washable and reusable cleaning cloths instead of disposable ones. Choose concentrated cleaning products you dilute at home or make your own cleaning solutions. And make an effort to recycle empty cleaning product containers and packaging.
Use Water Wisely
- Conserve water by being mindful of your usage during cleaning. Instead of leaving the tap running, fill a bucket or sink with water for tasks like mopping or soaking items. This helps reduce water waste and ensures you use only the amount needed.
Choose Energy-Efficient Appliances
- When it comes to cleaning tools and appliances, opt for high energy-efficient rated products. These can be found on cleaning tools like vaccums, steam cleaners and washing machines. Additionally start using cold water for washing your clothes.
Proper Disposal of Hazardous Waste
- Dispose of hazardous cleaning waste responsibly. Certain cleaning products may contain toxic or harmful ingredients that should not be poured down the drain or thrown in regular trash bins. Research local recycling centers or facilities that accept hazardous waste for proper disposal.
By implementing these practical tips, you can establish a greener cleaning routine that aligns with your sustainability goals. Remember, even small changes in your cleaning habits can have a significant positive impact on the environment, promoting a healthier and more eco-friendly lifestyle.