You may associate bladder leakage with old age – a problem that your parents or grandparents have to deal with.
But, moms of all ages can tell you that bladder leakage can affect us, too.
After childbirth, let’s just say that all of your muscles don’t function the way they used to.
Bladder leakage can happen while laughing, sneezing, coughing, or performing any strenuous activity.
“This common postpartum symptom is caused by the pregnancy- and delivery-weakened muscles around the bladder and pelvis, which make it harder for you to control when urine starts — or when it stops (they’ve taken a licking and, consequently, keep on dripping).”*
Tips for Bladder Leakage
- Do your Kegels, do your Kegels, do your Kegels! Try to work up to three sets of 30 Kegel exercises a day.
- Train your bladder to behave. Urinate every 30 minutes — before you have the urge, in other words — and then try to extend the time between each day.
- As a last line of defense, do Kegels or cross your legs when you feel the need to cough or sneeze, or when you’re about to laugh or lift something heavy.*
- Wear a product to help with bladder leakage, like Depend.
Truths about Bladder Leakage and Depend:
• Depend is not just for old people! Depend is for all ages and bladder leakage is a common condition affecting 65 million people.
• More people with bladder leakage are in their 20’s than their 80’s.
• The average age of someone with bladder leakage is 52!
• More people with bladder leakage are 50 or younger than 60 or older.
• Depend is thin and comfortable to wear, it is not a big, bulky diaper!
• You shouldn’t be afraid to wear Depend! Millions of people experience bladder leakage and it’s ok to reach for a thin, comfortable option. You no longer need to think that Depend garments are for people with a condition that is ‘way worse than mine.’
Depend will be donate $1, up to $3 million, over the next three years to charities that advance the research, education and awareness of bladder leakage for:
-Every pant drop, photo and video shared Using #Underwareness and #DropYourPants; and
-Every personal video made about what Underwareness means to you that is uploaded to YouTube and tagged #Underwareness and #DropYourPants